Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

RIP Caliber SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:19 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP Caliber SRT-4

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/909149997

Am I the only person who doesn't care? It is a mini-Aztec that was too ugly to succeed. From the reviews I read from different magazines, it was a great handling and quick car. But most folks couldn't get over the rhinocerus on wheels look.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:15 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Caliber was, and is, not a proper replacement for the Neon. Dodge really screwed up with it!
I'm not surprised it was axed. I actually almost bought one back in February.
Speaking of 4-door performance vehicles being axed, the Cobalt SS sedan was killed off too. Not that anyone cares, because it's a Chevy, but still.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

i love the lil caliber...

if the interior didnt look high school then i might have got on instead of my ram... no seriously lol

Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need a proper Neon replacement, not the bastard offspring of a hatchback and a small SUV. There are a bunch of Caliber SRT4s running around Orlando, all driven by guys wearing pink polo shirts with popped collars and their hats on backwards.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not a Neon, but a good little car in it's own right. A mini Magnum, just as the Avenger is a mini Charger.
And this was mentioned in another thread, and it is back on, not canceled. I just can't seem to find it at the moment.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

The Caliber is, sorry, like the Aztec in that it is too plastic and the styling is too confused-though the totality is a decent product. I roll my eyes when anti-Chryco guys trash Dodge quality because of "hard dashes" and they can't figure out what else to say because they are good cars. The problem is that people in the compact market are shopping for sedans and coupes. The basic Caliber is a mixed message. The Calibert SRT-4 is an oxymoron. My biggest complaint is that when I wanted to (plug my nose) trade my 36-39 mpg Neon automatic for a Caliber automatic, the EPA sicker said 27 highway/24 City. I am still driving my 03 Neon (now over 85k miles) and will continue to do so until there is something beside a guzzling warthog to replace it from Chrysler.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good riddance.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Caliber was never meant to be a Neon replacement, the issue was they never replaced the Neon so people naturally assumed. The Caliber is more of a mini cross over, the Neon was a compact car. The Caliber actaully does fairly well, just a different buyers group than the Neon.

The Neon will get a replacement within 2 years and probably be on Chrylser lots stamped as a Fiat.

Quick Reply: RIP Caliber SRT-4