Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler & it's Future

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 AM
DuallyPatton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler & it's Future

I was wondering if Chrysler will be able to buy itself back after its in a better state, so Fiat doesn't get majority ownership

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

FIAT is prohibited from ever owning a majority stake in Chrysler. It was written into the law that funded the bailout. Now that provision could change by a simple executive order, as the law allows the president almost complete discretion. But with the UAW owning the majority share and they would be the ones who's jobs would be sent to Mexico if FIAT gained control, I can't see them agreeing to it. Short answer: Chrysler will never be an independent company again. But it will probably survive in the short-term, 3-5 year range. After that, it depends on how well the Italians run the company.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

That is only the case until the loans are repaid. After that they can and will buy up most of the company. The UAW will sell, but they will sell it to the public. Then in turn fiat will buy over 50 percent. The UAW needs to sell their shares to fund the VEBA accounts. Plain and simple.

I do agree Chrysler will never be independent again. It will slowly turn into a hollow shell of itself after chrysler lines are replaced with fiats, or alfas.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by SHAPman
I do agree Chrysler will never be independent again. It will slowly turn into a hollow shell of itself after chrysler lines are replaced with fiats, or alfas.
Those are my thoughts. Chrysler will never be in a "better" state, let alone one good enough to "buy themselves back." Fiat wouldn't let that happen.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont understand how people are like "oh no..the italians are going to ruin chrysler"...its a whole lot better than the alternative...over the years there has been plenty of european influence (lamborghini built the first viper v10 and that worked out just fine) and it has only worked to progress the company.

i dont expect to see chrysler become independant any time soon, but i wouldnt be surprised if, down the road, another equity company bought them and did something that made them sort of their own company again but that would be a ways off.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Chrysler is going to be A okay!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:00 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i really think that they need to get something new out on the market...their lineup has gotten very stale...

Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrysler is up **** creek with out tiolet papper...

Possitive, Challenger and charger, 300 C, every one wants one, the down side are the othier non desired jeep models, seabrings that no one wants, to get the desired chrysler or dodge car, your paying for the stagnat models no one wants.

Im not impressed with the bail out's...

NO one has but A UAW auto worker has thier employer gaurantee thier labor, pays a auto worker for thier labour and pays a wage... and has thier employer bag for money because no one is supporting thier product..

A auto maker can not exsist building trucks and over priced 4 door RWD sedans, entry level cars that have bang for the buck and offer longevity rule the market.

thiers no vaule to new car ownership, the mystic of a new car is gone ....

Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I also think Chrysler will be ok in the long run. I was specifically referring to their autonomy. If you think about it, there's no way FIAT can take the underpowered, tin, micro-sardine cans they sell in Europe and just slap a Pentastar on them and keep selling for long. There is going to be cross engineering, and that means both ways. Chrysler will benefit from the small, fuel efficient engines from FIAT and FIAT will get full size car and truck engineering to finally compete with Mercedes and BMW. I don't see the sky falling. I do see, if the unions do sell their shares, FIAT buying Chrysler outright and losing the American look and feel of the most American car company.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

The unions don't design the cars. So, the UAW losing ownership isn't going to change the direction the company goes. Might change where the jobs are though.

The american car companies need to build solid, reliable cars/trucks, and alter their design scheme of 'planned obsolescence' to one of "build it to last".

Quick Reply: Chrysler & it's Future