Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Caravan and Grand Caravan SRT6!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Caravan and Grand Caravan SRT6!

Yeah, it starts out very lame, but when the trend catches on and everyone is accepting it, then it becomes awesome! Look at the 4 door muscle sedans? Muscle wagons? Muscle trucks? Why not Muscle vans?

I think a performance van is great! It has been around for a while with the short wheelbase chevy's and Ford's small block v8 vans back in the 70's and 80's. I still remember those little bubble windows.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Big Ed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kensai

Check this out. Back in 2002.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/0...nd_caravan.jpg

APC Dodge Grand Caravan Extreme

The APC Dodge Grand Caravan Extreme is a Viper-inspired minivan that combines the performance of a 3.8-liter Vortech supercharged engine with the cargo carrying capability of the original minivan. The APC Minivan Extreme features Viper Red paint with silver Viper-style racing stripes from front to back, vented and louvered hood with functional ram air intake, Viper-style splitter on the lower front fascia and Viper seats on the custom trimmed interior. A profile view highlights unique 19-inch RO-JA wheels and performance tires, PTP dual side exit stainless exhaust and lowered height due to reduced springs and side skirts with integrated side exit exhaust.
Ahem. Vortech? A GM motor?

Old 11-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vortech could be a proposed type of supercharger to be used for Dodge's 3.8 liter engine I presume.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:15 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Ed

The APC Dodge Grand Caravan Extreme is a Viper-inspired minivan that combines the performance of a 3.8-liter Vortech supercharged engine with the cargo carrying capability of the original minivan. The APC Minivan Extreme features Viper Red paint with silver Viper-style racing stripes from front to back, vented and louvered hood with functional ram air intake, Viper-style splitter on the lower front fascia and Viper seats on the custom trimmed interior. A profile view highlights unique 19-inch RO-JA wheels and performance tires, PTP dual side exit stainless exhaust and lowered height due to reduced springs and side skirts with integrated side exit exhaust.
Ahem. Vortech? A GM motor?
No. Vortech is a separate company from GM that makes superchargers and other things. I'm actually surprised that they were allowed to use that name for their engine line.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: minichargersx

I have received word of a supercharged 3.8L V6 ( (aparently 350hp) for grand caravan ) and a 3.2L supercharged V6 ( (330hp) caravan ) And even more kick A$$ is that the Caravan, and GC SRT6 are rwd. Now i dont kno if this is happening soon ( 2007 M.Y ) or when the C/GC get a major face lift due for 09 or 10. Thoughts?
This is interesting about 350 hp out of the 3.8L V6 and 330 out of the 3.2 V6 (I assume this is refering to the Mercedes 3.2 in the Crossfire SRT-6). The 3.8 only currently puts out 207 hp (though it previously produced 215) and the 3.2 produces 215 without the supercharger. It must be do to a larger boost from a supercharger or this is a supercharged verson of the Mitsubishi 3.8. I heard back in the early 90s they tried to turbo the 3.8 and put it into the Dodge Dynasty as a cop package and it blew the engine apart. They must have beefed up the engine or something.

For the critics of this idea, think about this principle. When minivans were first made, they had barely 100 hp in them. I'm sure 245 horsepower would have sounded rediculous back then when most preformance minded cars (Camero/Firebird, Corvette, Mustang, etc.)didn't produce that much horsepower or even close. This is called augmented product. When it first comes out, it is not considered expected when you buy the product. As time goes on and people experience it, it becomes expected. Like having having a choice of different colors for your car other than just black. This is a good idea. Just a couple of years ago, no one would have expected a domestic, non-luxury full-sized car to offer 340 hp, let alone 425 hp. Now it will be. Just watch.

This might lead to the Stratus getting one of these two engines, which it is going to need to compete (or hopefully blow away the competition) with the G6, Altima, Mazda 6, and other mid-sized cars that offer more hp. I would prefer to see the 3.8L being installed in the Status. That would even blow the Grand Prix GXP.

Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

think of this logically. they are not going to make a caravan srt-6. come on.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like HemiMan says, think about it... really......

That was done individually by the crappy company APC and had no connections with Dodge...

Old 11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion

really come on. if they made an srt-6 caravan, why not make an srt sprinter? they wont do it lol.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I could see them doing a very limited production run....say no more then 5000 models.....

There is a slight demand for them, despite what you think... I mean, most men wouldnt be caught dead in a minvan.....but give them the option to outrun a stock mustang in a minivan and I think many of us would take one if we had to....

That said, there's a 95% chance they wont do it....but hey...they did an SRT-8 model wagon.....so a minivan isnt that MUCH of a stretch....not to mention an SRT-4 motored PT Cruiser....

Old 11-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

I could see them doing a very limited production run....say no more then 5000 models.....

There is a slight demand for them, despite what you think... I mean, most men wouldnt be caught dead in a minvan.....but give them the option to outrun a stock mustang in a minivan and I think many of us would take one if we had to....

That said, there's a 95% chance they wont do it....but hey...they did an SRT-8 model wagon.....so a minivan isnt that MUCH of a stretch....not to mention an SRT-4 motored PT Cruiser....
Key words there are "if we HAD to". Which is another reason why I think this rumor is false.

HEMI powered wagon = awesome. SRT-4 powered PT = awesome.

SRT-6 minivan = stupid.

Big difference there...

Quick Reply: Caravan and Grand Caravan SRT6!