Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

500 "plus" horsepower Hemi??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Dartman69
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 "plus" horsepower Hemi??

Hey guys, this might interest you: http://www.allpar.com/news/#ni478

Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Chryco4Life
Rookie
Default RE: 500 "plus" horsepower Hemi??

Sounds good of course, but Allpar's possible uses for this engine are dumb.

Old 11-08-2005, 02:42 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its Pretty cool isn't it? Wanna see a pic of it? https://dodgeforum.com/m_323643/tm.htm

Old 11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
nsyncfanatic03
Professional

wow that is one powerful engine my freind mike would be like say what are you kiddin? i just have one question i thought dodge was gonna stop the hemi in 2006 cause it was just an anniversary thing at first.. i guess they are continuing it! SWWWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!

MY NEW RIDE!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19290/F2BA7D4F03204A27BD1DD29EF8EA0E3A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chryco4Life

Could you explain your logic on this? I think having this in the Viper, Firepower, and Heavy Duty Ram would be a good idea. The HEMI would cost less to build than the V10, it is supposed to be less expensive to build than the 360 and the newer 4.7 SOHC. It would most likely get better fuel economy as well because it would be a V8 instead of a V10. This would help lower the cost to build the Viper that Chrysler could use to either lower the price or keep the price the same to improve the profit margin. The Firepower would be more attractive if it had more hp and torque to add to its performance image (since this is the point of this car). The Ram could use a replacement for the V10 in the Heavy Duty models because not everyone wants a diesel. I think it would be good to add this to the Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300C, Dakota (if it would fit) as well.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nsyncfanatic03

wow that is one powerful engine my freind mike would be like say what are you kiddin? i just have one question i thought dodge was gonna stop the hemi in 2006 cause it was just an anniversary thing at first.. i guess they are continuing it! SWWWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!!!!!

MY NEW RIDE!

[IMG]local://upfiles/19290/F2BA7D4F03204A27BD1DD29EF8EA0E3A.jpg[/IMG]
Why would Dodge do this? If they did this the only V8 they would have would be the 4.7L, which costs more than the HEMI does to build. They would get their butts severally kicked by the competition because the best output the 4.7L ever had was around 265-270hp and 325-330ft-lbs of torque. If they did this, the LX platform sales would sink faster than the Titanic. The 3.5L, although a great engine in my bias opinion, would not be enough for most people in a car that weighs this much.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:34 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Could you explain your logic on this? I think having this in the Viper, Firepower, and Heavy Duty Ram would be a good idea. The HEMI would cost less to build than the V10, it is supposed to be less expensive to build than the 360 and the newer 4.7 SOHC. It would most likely get better fuel economy as well because it would be a V8 instead of a V10. This would help lower the cost to build the Viper that Chrysler could use to either lower the price or keep the price the same to improve the profit margin. The Firepower would be more attractive if it had more hp and torque to add to its performance image (since this is the point of this car). The Ram could use a replacement for the V10 in the Heavy Duty models because not everyone wants a diesel. I think it would be good to add this to the Challenger, Charger, Magnum, 300C, Dakota (if it would fit) as well.
I doubt the viper will ever be a v-8. When people think viper, they think big v-10.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, if that was true on the cost of building a hemi (I assume the 5.7?) is cheaper than building a 4.7 engine, Would this be a signal that Chrysler/Dodge will scrap the 4.7 and have the 5.7 hemi as the entry level V8 engine? I know the gas mileage between the two are very close.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Kensai

wow, if that was true on the cost of building a hemi (I assume the 5.7?) is cheaper than building a 4.7 engine, Would this be a signal that Chrysler/Dodge will scrap the 4.7 and have the 5.7 hemi as the entry level V8 engine? I know the gas mileage between the two are very close.
I seriously doubt that they will scrape the 4.7L. Not everyone wants a HEMI. The fact that the 5.7L HEMI is currently not being used in the Dakota is a sign that the 4.7L still has its purpose in the engine line-up. They will probably still use the 4.7L as an entry level V8 so then they can charge more money for the HEMI to make a higher profit, since it is a highly demanded option. I think they need this extra engine line-up because they probably would not be able to fulfill the orders for the HEMI, since it is used in so many different popular vehicles and it appears the number of vehicles that will use it will increase. Here is a link which is a source for my argument about the 5.7L costing less to build than the 4.7L. (Look under "Our Original Page") http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

To HemiMan4451, I wouldn't be surprised if they did this with the Viper. It would give them a chance to offer a version that would better compete with the Z06 Corvette price wise, weight wise, fuel economy wise, and performance wise-since the specs appear to be comparable to the V10. If they did this I would bet that they would offer a V10 or at least a engine more powerful than base engine that would satisfy the people that want class leading performance. When the Viper was being produced, the V10 was just one idea that they discussed (as well as the 426 HEMI). I think they could pull it off with something other than the V10. Frankly, I wish they would have used the 426 HEMI when they started so then we could enjoy the option of some of the larger editions of big block HEMI like the 528 HEMI that produces 610 hp & 650 ft-lbs of torque or the screaming 540 supercharged HEMI that produces +900 hp[sm=drooldude.gif].

Old 11-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Chryco4Life
Rookie

ORIGINAL: HemiMan4451

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

I doubt the viper will ever be a v-8. When people think viper, they think big v-10.

Exactly. I could see it in a monster-sized Ram or badass muscle car; but not the Viper, and definately NOT if it was also in the Firepower. Regardless of how cheap the engine would be to build, as soon as you have similar models with similar price and options, you are going to lose money. It's happened before. So, final answer: the Firepower isn't real and Viper is synonymous with V10.

Quick Reply: 500 "plus" horsepower Hemi??