Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler lineup likely to include more diesels in future, Zetsche says

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chrysler lineup likely to include more diesels in future, Zetsche says

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS

DaimlerChrysler will bring four diesel engines to the United States for Mercedes this year. Can we expect something similar for Chrysler?

We are installing BlueTec (diesel technology) in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. How far we will stretch this technology in the Chrysler product lineup is not finally decided at this time. But quite definitely, DaimlerChrysler, including the different brands, is serious in leveraging the opportunity this technology builds for the U.S. market.

In Europe, DaimlerChrysler already is selling diesel Chryslers and diesel Mercedes. Would it be a great cost effort to bring these models to the United States?

There are environmental conditions for the different markets in all regards, including legislation. Putting the motor into the vehicle is one thing; making it align with these requirements is something else. Nevertheless, we are going there.

Would we expect BlueTec to debut in Chrysler vehicles in the United States at approximately at the same time as Mercedes?

Yes, approximately the same time.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler lineup likely to include more diesels in future, Zetsche says

I know this report is a couple days old, but are they saying the Grand Cherokee here in the U.S. will offer a Diesel engine, or just over in Europe?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler lineup likely to include more diesels in future, Zetsche says

If I'm reading correctly, yes, BlueTec in the Jeep GC, here in the US...

Old 02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
clean_sx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They better do their research before they go ahead with it. like how it will sell in that market ect.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 AM
BTurk
Professional

Better get used to this guys, the future of the internal combustion engine is going to be a move towards more diesels, and eventually GDI and HCCI engines. With modern advancements in exhaust treatment technology, as well as vehicle acoustics, allowing companies to make them as clean and quiet as gasoline engines, the downsides are disappearing and the efficiency of the diesel and the amount of torque it can produce can't be beat. Diesels are much more popular in Europe for that very reason. In Europe gas prices are the equivalent of $7-$7.50 US dollars a gallon, so the fuel efficiency of a diesel can't be beat

Old 02-09-2006, 06:10 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: clean_sx

They better do their research before they go ahead with it. like how it will sell in that market ect.
I think the CDI powered Liberty just gave them all the research they really need. They sold around double the models they were originally intending to sell last year. These diesels are quite attractive. The 3.0L model that is rumored to go in here is supposed to have a good level of torque with good fuel economy. I think they will sell like hot cakes.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:14 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Yeah, I'd say probably half the normal cars in Europe are diesel powered. You'd be amazed.

The current diesels here in the USA have started growing again due in large part to those very advancements. The VW Bug and the CDI Liberty have really helped. I personally would buy a diesel powered car if they made one with a CTD....or something of that nature...

Old 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Yeah, I'd say probably half the normal cars in Europe are diesel powered. You'd be amazed.

The current diesels here in the USA have started growing again due in large part to those very advancements. The VW Bug and the CDI Liberty have really helped. I personally would buy a diesel powered car if they made one with a CTD....or something of that nature...
I think it is around 40% and still gaining, but close enough to say about half. The Mercedes D320 CDI is another example. That engine revivals the E500 model in acceleration while rated at getting 12 mpg better fuel economy. This is the way of the future. The older diesels didn't appeal to the majority of people because they were unrefined, harder to start in the winter, not as powerful, gave off a terrible smell, were noisy, etc. With modern technologies, we have been able to get rid of most of these traits, or improved them significantly to where the average person would be satisfied with them. The Diesels are the way of the automotive future if you ask me.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I was also including all the trucks and semi's as well in my comment. I dont know that Diesels are the way of the future, but they offer a better solution to gasoline issues as opposed to ethanol and electric hybrids.

We honestly need to get the Hydrogen fuel up and running. We've proven it will power a car, we've proven it can perform at a good clip, and BMW currently has a duplex engine in their 7 Series BMW that will run hydrogen/gas right now.

Why continue waiting? Let's get this rolling now. The hydrogen technology would only add about 3500-5000 to each car....and it would change very little as far as structure. Mostly block changes and fuel lines/tank. However, the fact we can constantly reproduce hydrogen and the only byproduct being water....I dont see why their would be too many complaints outside of the oil barons like Bush....who had the AUDACITY to call Americans drunk on oil....yeah...you choke out all sources of any kind of fuel besides gasoline then want to say we use too much of it.....

Build cars with better mpgs, stop allowing these vehicles that only get 8mpgs to be built, and start forcing companies to put hydrogen in their tanks....that'll make it happen. I say pass a unanimous bill in the House/Senate forcing companies to stock Hydrogen and build cars with the options. I'd be one of the first in line...

I'll take .50 gallon of hydrogen thanks!

Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

I was also including all the trucks and semi's as well in my comment. I dont know that Diesels are the way of the future, but they offer a better solution to gasoline issues as opposed to ethanol and electric hybrids.

We honestly need to get the Hydrogen fuel up and running. We've proven it will power a car, we've proven it can perform at a good clip, and BMW currently has a duplex engine in their 7 Series BMW that will run hydrogen/gas right now.

Why continue waiting? Let's get this rolling now. The hydrogen technology would only add about 3500-5000 to each car....and it would change very little as far as structure. Mostly block changes and fuel lines/tank. However, the fact we can constantly reproduce hydrogen and the only byproduct being water....I dont see why their would be too many complaints outside of the oil barons like Bush....who had the AUDACITY to call Americans drunk on oil....yeah...you choke out all sources of any kind of fuel besides gasoline then want to say we use too much of it.....

Build cars with better mpgs, stop allowing these vehicles that only get 8mpgs to be built, and start forcing companies to put hydrogen in their tanks....that'll make it happen. I say pass a unanimous bill in the House/Senate forcing companies to stock Hydrogen and build cars with the options. I'd be one of the first in line...

I'll take .50 gallon of hydrogen thanks!
Okay, where do you send the water byproduct? If the byproduct is water vapor, then it will be more humid and storms could be more often and worse. To make the hydrogen you would need water to produce it, and they would have to use one of two outlets, fresh water, which we already use for drinking, or use ocean water. The problem I see with using hydrogen is, hydrogen is not a stable element, it can be more explosive than gasoline. I want to see how this works out first.

I don't agree with your idea of getting the government to FORCE companies to do this. The government works by precedences. When you start crossing the line, even if it is for a good cause (in theroy), the government will use it as an excuse to do it in future situations that may not be for a good cause. Becareful with that train of thought. Here is a better approach that doesn't expand the size of the government. Offer tax incentives for them to do this. That is how you get companies to do what you want them to do. If the technology proves to be stable, safe, cost effective, not causing anymore storms or floods, or any other negative affects, then I don't have a problem with the technology.

Quick Reply: Chrysler lineup likely to include more diesels in future, Zetsche says