Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

What works best on black paint??...Black Box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What works best on black paint??...Black Box?

Normally I am the one giving detailing advice, as I have detailed countless cars over the years (resulting in a trophy or two at carshows), using most of what available on the market today. With this said, I don't know everything...there are always new products & techniques to brush up on.

So my question is this, what works best on black paint? I've heard turtle wax just released a system called "Black Box" (not available in my area yet), which many people are talking about, so I'm wondering if it's any good. It's basically a series of waxes/polishes that are black in color. I've used Turtle wax's "color cure" colored wax before, and must say it works awful, leaving swears that are an eye sore in direct sunlight.

I have a number of cars wearing their original factory black paint/clear coat. Some of them are far from perfect, but I'm just looking for something to spruce them up, and cover any imperfections while Im at all those sun drenched car-shows. Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

nobody????

Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wolfgang 3.0 works great on dark colors, but it is a sealant. I use it on my red Durango:

http://www.autogeek.net/

FF

Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Bunky
Rookie

It depends on what kind of look that you are looking for since it depends on what class you want to use.

If you want a warm, deep look you would go with a good carnuaba such as Meg's #26.

If you like a very glossy shiny look(some say it has that encased in plastic look), you can go with a sealant. I have used Wolfgang Deep Paint Sealant on my black Dakota and it fails into the second group. However, your paint really needs to be in great shape (minimal marring) since it has not much hiding. I tend to like the sealant look at the moment.

If your paint is less than good condition, you may consider a glaze (help hides imperfections) such as Poor Boys Black Hole before applying the pure wax or sealant. The Turtle Wax stuff is a variation on the glaze.

You can start any detailing with claying and then using a paint cleaner (like Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner) to remove below surface matter and oxidation. Single stage paints will see more from the paint cleaner than clear coats but it is a good idea if not done once a year and the vehicle is parked outside.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

I use a paint sealant then a coat of carnuaba after the sealant cures for a day,
FF

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

This is all great advice guys! up until now, I've done the normal polish (I've used many), then topped off with a carnuaba paste. It works on my new cars well, but on my 2 older ones (20+yr old paint/clear coat), it doesn't do much to fill in those marks that simply can't be buffed out. So I want something that hides that stuff while at the car shows....I realize hiding is only temporary. Because on my older cars, the finish is older/soft and perhaps a little thin, I want to be as gentle as I can.

My experience with paint sealants is limited to Mopar's Mastershield. Works exactly like a polish. Goes on, hazes in a few minutes, wipes off. Doesn't hide anything, doesn't last all that long either. I think it's just a heavy duty cleaner polish personally.

I love a deep glass-like shine that looks great, even in full-sunlight. AutoMagic polishes/waxes is what Im using know. Professional stuff, but nothing designed specifically for black cars.
Name:  300.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  CAR2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  57.9 KB
Name:  Car3.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  81.7 KB

Last edited by Jon Mopar; 04-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Bunky
Rookie

I do not find myself in a similar situation so I will offer what I have seen/read:

1. Meg's #7 glass as your LSP
2. Adam's Detail Spray - interesting glow that distracts from defects

From 3 to 5 ft away, shine will win. If you are looking at direct sun reflections, only prep will really work.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

My Demon was wet sanded to take the orange peel off (paint is from the '80's) and then buffed. It looks alot better, but can not compare to the newer paints. Here is my Durango after I washed, clayed, polished (medium and fine), paint sealant applied, and a coat of wax:
Name:  DSC02523.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  224.3 KB

FF

Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM
bigslick050
All Star

The Meguiars Black box kit is a great product and would recommend to anyone with black vehicles. Its a three step kit, paint cleaner, polish, and then wax. If u have time to do the WHOLE system, its worth doing. I use a 10" orbital buffer to help me speed things along!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 AM
ShocK
Rookie

Wax is not now, nor has it ever been the best thing for a black car.
I say that through experience.
VaporWax acrylic paint conditioner is the best thing to use on a black car, old or new.
http://ibc34.com/ALIEN_LIQUID/
You cannot beat the shine or ease of use.
I have not tried Black Box but if it's got wax in it I know I won't consider using it on anything new.

Quick Reply: What works best on black paint??...Black Box?