Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

best way to clean engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:18 AM
durangoguy16
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best way to clean engine compartment?

Im all about some free stuff to. Just be careful not to get caught on camera while doing this trick. It is most defintly not legal.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea man stogies/cigars and cigsor a rip of chew is a good way to keep track of time.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Nappers
Professional

I also use Simple Green about 1/2 SG and 1/2 water. I start my car for a few minutes then shut her down to warm up the grease. I then spray the whole engine bay with SG and let it sit fora few minutes. I use my Meg's wheel/spoke brush (yellow looking big bottle washer looking thing) and scrub stuff that I can't get to. after a good hosing of soft flow water, I soak up water with MF towels.

After a good rinsing, I spray the entire engine bay with Meg's #40 or Natural Shine and let it sit for a long time. I then mop up the lose stuff in nooks and crannies and presto a clean engine bay.

A lot of people cover the alternator and computer and other electronics prior to washing. I do not and have not had any problems YET. Just don't concentrate the water on those componets.

Meguiars has a great online forum for detailing period if you guys like their products to which I do.

I don't have a photo, but my Neon looked better than new when I washed the engine bay of it a couple of weeks ago, I also use the #40 on the wheel wells and it looks new, spray and walk away, wipe off the drips when you come back if you wish.

Have fun, great advise here.

Aaron

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
GeoDodge
Default DONT clean hot engines with plastic topped radiators with WATER or they will CRACK!

Warning! if you spray a hot radiator that has plastic top and bottom pieces (and most modern ones do) with a car sprayer or car wash sprayer the water temperature shock will cause tiny cracks in the radiator plastic top or bottom and it will ruin your radiator!

You CANNOT spray newer radiators with water when they are hot. The plastic cannot take the rapid change in temperature like old metal radiators could! They WILL crack and that crack will grow to a leak in a month or two and you'll need a new radiator.

Originally Posted by muddy_blue_dodge
hey i was wonderin if anyone has any suggestions about cleanin the engine bay. right now mine has quite a bit of mud in it, so i need to get that out, but below that is just typical engine nastiness. im thinkin degreaser might be a good idea but i just wanted to make sure that thats not gonna screw anything up if it gets on the wrong thing? also any other solutions besides degreaser would be appreciated.

o yea and i recently saw that there has been some mud stuck on the underside of my engine block close to the headers- a place that i cant get to easily which is why it was there for a couple weeks without me seeing it- that shouldnt hurt anything should it?? but i definately try not to let it happen often

Quick Reply: best way to clean engine compartment?