Notices
Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

best way to clean engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:53 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean engine compartment?

hey i was wonderin if anyone has any suggestions about cleanin the engine bay. right now mine has quite a bit of mud in it, so i need to get that out, but below that is just typical engine nastiness. im thinkin degreaser might be a good idea but i just wanted to make sure that thats not gonna screw anything up if it gets on the wrong thing? also any other solutions besides degreaser would be appreciated.

o yea and i recently saw that there has been some mud stuck on the underside of my engine block close to the headers- a place that i cant get to easily which is why it was there for a couple weeks without me seeing it- that shouldnt hurt anything should it?? but i definately try not to let it happen often

Old 02-19-2006, 03:22 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: best way to clean engine compartment?

just take it to a carwash and wash it out if its got oil/grease just use the degrease option

Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 AM
1 bad durango
Professional

GET A PRESSURE WASHER NO MORE THAN 2700 PSI AND 2.7 GALLONS PER MIN LEAVE THE TRUCK RUNNIN SPRAY THE WHOLE ENGINE AND THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HOOD WITH A QUALITY DEGREASER(I CAN GET IT FOR YOU) SOAK THAT ENGINE WITH THE CLEANER THEN HIT IT WITH THE PRESSURE WASHER,,,,I CAN PROMISE YOU THIS IS THE BEST WAY I OWN TWO CAR WASH AND DETAIL SHOPS BEENDOIN THIS FOR OVER FIVE YEARS ,,,HOPE IT HELPS

Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Yeah at work we just spray it down with the degreaser and hit it with the pressure washer WHILE the car is STILL RUNNING. Try not to soak the fuse box, ignition, relays, or anything electrically exposed and you should be good. If you have the free time spray the degreaser on and scrub it with a brush makes the rinsing part a lot easier and you can apply tire shine or some protectant on the engine to give it a detailed look. I personally use Blue Quick Shine non solvent based silicone.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:07 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Try and use SIMPLE GREEN. Trust me, this stuff works WONDERS! It's cheap, and you can use a regular garden hose. My engine my my old (chevy) truck was muddy from going romping one day, and i cleaned it up with simple green and armor all! Just spray the engine with simple green (prefereably cold), let sit, rinse off after about 5-10 minutes, repeat process one more time. for hard to get areas scrub around with a tooth brush. After you rinse it the final time, while its still wet, Spray ARMOR ALL EVERYWHERE, it doesnt hurt anything, and it reconditions the hoses at the same time

Trust me , heres some pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/31269/D89DFBF868FB406090E65DF73FB79D25.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: JustinJohnson86

Try and use SIMPLE GREEN. Trust me, this stuff works WONDERS! It's cheap, and you can use a regular garden hose. My engine my my old (chevy) truck was muddy from going romping one day, and i cleaned it up with simple green and armor all! Just spray the engine with simple green (prefereably cold), let sit, rinse off after about 5-10 minutes, repeat process one more time. for hard to get areas scrub around with a tooth brush. After you rinse it the final time, while its still wet, Spray ARMOR ALL EVERYWHERE, it doesnt hurt anything, and it reconditions the hoses at the same time

Trust me , heres some pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/31269/D89DFBF868FB406090E65DF73FB79D25.jpg[/IMG]
Do you have your truck runing while rinsing it off?

The pic looks great !! Looks brand new !!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

simply go to a local self wash station w/ the power wash "guns" spray it top to bottom... poof your done

before you do it, it may be a good idea to wrap plastic bags around the battery, airbox inlet, and exposed wiring, etc

another good idea would be to keep it running durin the wash, but after also to make the water dry faster

Old 08-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used some simple green the other day on mine and it's pretty damn good. I let the dirt sit after an off road trip for about 2 weeks and it got everything off except for the hoses but I'm sure all I would have to do is get a brush and scrub cause the dirt was coming off when I scrubbed it with my finger.
Oh and simple green is biodegradeable.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

I just used some simple green the other day on mine and it's pretty damn good.
Did you leave the truck running while you did it ??

Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope I didn't, I covered up the alternator to make sure I wouldn't fry it.

Quick Reply: best way to clean engine compartment?