Dodge Avenger This forum hosts discussion areas for both the 95-00 and 08-14 Dodge Avenger Coupes and Sedan

2008 avenger transmission troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020 | 05:01 PM
OLP72
|
Default 2008 avenger transmission troubles?

Looking for some advice as what could be the problem and cost to fix my car. I hit a curb which popped out my rim but didnt damage the alignment and the mechanics told me nothing else was damaged. I noticed right after that my car was very jerky when I start and or stop. When I reverse or drive and I dont have my foot on brake or gas my car doesnt roll like it normally use to. It wont go at all unless I press the gas. This problem only occurs once my car heats up. When it's cold it still rolls forward and reverse. Went to a different shop they said my transmission lines were leaking and that my fluid was low they fixed that. This fixed the jerking problem when I stop and start but not the fact that my vehicle wont roll in drive or reverse. Been told my transmission is catastrophically damaged, or that a flush could possibly fix the problem. Any thoughts or advice before I spend a few grand on a new transmission is appreciated.

Old 03-11-2020 | 11:53 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Did you replace the wheel and rim, If you did, if you were to switch a good tire in the front end,. Does it do the same? If it the same, I would start with drive axles.

Old 06-03-2020 | 09:22 AM
guapoman2000
Professional

Originally Posted by OLP72
Looking for some advice as what could be the problem and cost to fix my car. I hit a curb which popped out my rim but didnt damage the alignment and the mechanics told me nothing else was damaged. I noticed right after that my car was very jerky when I start and or stop. When I reverse or drive and I dont have my foot on brake or gas my car doesnt roll like it normally use to. It wont go at all unless I press the gas. This problem only occurs once my car heats up. When it's cold it still rolls forward and reverse. Went to a different shop they said my transmission lines were leaking and that my fluid was low they fixed that. This fixed the jerking problem when I stop and start but not the fact that my vehicle wont roll in drive or reverse. Been told my transmission is catastrophically damaged, or that a flush could possibly fix the problem. Any thoughts or advice before I spend a few grand on a new transmission is appreciated.
Okay, so you brought it in to fix lose Transmission Lines going to where? The Radiator?

It seems like there is an issue with cooling the Automatic Transmission Fluid as you say when the car heats up is when you encounter the problem with "D" and "R" and it will not roll after taking your foot off the brake?

If you indeed had Automatic Transmission COOLING LINES loose then, it maybe that the Transmission has suffered internal damage. Do you know WHO messed with these COOLING LINES before you took it the the SHOP that Discovered it?

Old 01-27-2023 | 06:14 PM
sikdodge

If it doesnt roll, then, drive it around, close to home. When it stops rolling, jack up the tire you hit and see if you can turn the wheel by hand in neutral. Then go around and check all 4. One of them has to be the culprit.

Did they say what the jerking was from?

Quick Reply: 2008 avenger transmission troubles?