Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

door hinge problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Dipsquid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happened again!

Well, my passenger door has popped again. This is now the third time for that door. I am wondering if anyone has figured out how to fix this issue themselves. The car is paid off and has 125k miles so not looking to trade in. Will live with the bent fender and missing paint. Any help on fixing it myself would be much appreciated. Don't want to spend the money to have the dealership fix it yet again. I doubt I could get any help from Dodge on the third go around. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Man, that sucks. I wonder if it was an issue with them not being lined up perfectly. I will have to look at our 09 to see how they look.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 PM
heaven67
Unhappy This is not encouraging

After reading this thread, I was not encouraged. My driver front door hinge (lower) broke over a year ago. I have been slamming my door shut for that long. Yes the front fender is now bent as well. I have a rear door doing the same thing. I kept my door hinges oiled, had them oiled every time I got my oil changed. So I don't think that the lack of oil was the problem. I think it is a flaw with the caliber hinges. Now, I have to figure out what I'm going to do to fix the issue. My car is a 2008 SXT and I just recently paid it off. There is no warranty for me to utilize.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:53 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have been keeping an eye on our 09 SXT, but no signs of trouble yet. I think this is the first that I have heard of a rear door issue. It is about due for a hinge check now that I think about it.

Last edited by lxman1; 12-21-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Willreddick
Default Same thing just happened

I just got home from work and my wife's 08 caliber passenger back door is jambed wide open. I really don't what to do to even get it closed without wrecking it. This is a pretty stupid problem!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:31 PM
cinchr100

I have the exact same problem with my 2008 caliber. Both driver and passenger door.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Ours looked good when I checked and lubed them with silicon spray last week.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cinchr100
I have the exact same problem with my 2008 caliber. Both driver and passenger door.
cinchr100,

I'm sorry to hear about your door concerns.

How often do the doors get stuck open? Does it ever get stuck prior to being opened all the way?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:07 PM
bazgrol0413

Originally Posted by cinchr100
I too have the same problem with my 2007 SXT. Both driver & passenger door as well. My mechanic said it is the door hinge that can only be ordered through the dealer. He was referring to this part: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5115713AH.html

The driver door has a snapping sound once I open it all the way while the passenger door has the creaking sound which my mechanic said will break down soon enough. How did you fix yours?

Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
vstewart5

I know this is an older thread, but the same thing happened to my car this weekend. My dad and brother actually had to take my door off to get it to close. It locked up or froze in the open position. When they took the door off to put it back on they noticed that the bolts that go into the hinges were the issue. the bolts are not in the door straight and there is a crack in the metal about 5 inches around both bolts. To get my door to shut the bottom hinge had to be removed. I am way past warranty age. It started just like everyone else described with the squeaking and popping, then totally froze up, and being out of alignment did some fender rubbing. If the same thing happens to you, have your door looked at where the bolts are that go into the hinges. My dad and brother said it looked like when it was made the bolts were put in way to tight causing the issue.

Quick Reply: door hinge problem