Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

door hinge problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM
bazgrol0413
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vstewart5
I know this is an older thread, but the same thing happened to my car this weekend. My dad and brother actually had to take my door off to get it to close. It locked up or froze in the open position. When they took the door off to put it back on they noticed that the bolts that go into the hinges were the issue. the bolts are not in the door straight and there is a crack in the metal about 5 inches around both bolts. To get my door to shut the bottom hinge had to be removed. I am way past warranty age. It started just like everyone else described with the squeaking and popping, then totally froze up, and being out of alignment did some fender rubbing. If the same thing happens to you, have your door looked at where the bolts are that go into the hinges. My dad and brother said it looked like when it was made the bolts were put in way to tight causing the issue.
I will note that on my two newly replaced hinges for the driver and rear driver side. Replacing the hinge itself, fixed the problem for me. My mechanic said this is a common issue with Dodge & Chrysler. The door moves freely that when you open it, it opens fully most of the time causing too much stress on the hinge. The spring in the hinge is what gives up according to him.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Brad23

This just happened to my girlfriends 2008 caliber. It has 49,000 miles on it. All 4 doors creak badly. Drivers side door "sprung" open and the fender got bent. I will update whit more details .

Old 03-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Coupon Kinney
Default Same Issue

I own an 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT, and recently had this exact same issue with the spring for my driver side door popping out. While attempting to close my door it resulted in me slightly bending my fender. Since my car is not under any warranty I will have to look into what it will cost to get my door replaced.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:43 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Depending on the amount of damage, it may be able to be repaired fairly easy at a reputable body shop.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Kale English
Default Same

My 08 caliber just had the hinge pop last night. Leaving my door hanging wide open in the middle of the street. So I forced it shut, that was a mistake. Wish i would have googled this before hand.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 AM
Jessy Jacob Corey Etapp
Default Same Issue 2008 Dodge Caliber SXT

I’ve had the same issue to my door happen to me today. Which really kinda sucks since I just bought it secondhand. It’s messed up my fender and the paint job around it. Has their been any success in finding fair repairs on it since it seems to be such a common issue, A buddy of mine also owns a Caliber and he’s also had the same issue. What are my options for this issue? I’d really like to know because I’m already working on different repairs and this just really sucks if I have to pay more on uneccessary repairs that should’ve been resolved by Dodge since the amount of reports on similar problems have been clearly identified by many others.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:38 PM
Susan Edwards
Default Just happened to me

Originally Posted by Dipsquid
I finally have my car back! Yea! Door now opens so easily I feel I'm gonna bust it again. From what I gather it is just a really unusual and rare (thankfully) problem where the hinge goes and as it goes, it really warps the door. Ended up going 50/50 with Dodge on the deal so it wasn't a horrible repair. I hope no one ever has to deal with this but I would figure a few more will out there. Strange...very strange! Thanks again!
I am experiencing the same thing with my car tonight

Old 12-29-2020, 05:42 PM
SamanthaSaffa

I purchased my dodge last night. Opened the the door this morning and the same thing happened to me. Bottom hinge needed cutting so the door could close but it sprung open so far it lifted the wing and tucked itself under it. Couldn’t get the door fully closed. Searching for a spare hinge and wing in the UK 😫. Haven’t even owned the vehicle for a full 24 hours.

Quick Reply: door hinge problem