Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Simple questions (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
joester
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simple questions (maybe)

I am about to seriously consider and sign the paperwork to trade my '01 Neon on a '12 Caliber SXT.

I prefer the manual transmission, but the wife refuses to drive manual so I am obligated to get the "auto" or in this case, the CVT.

I have driven the car and know that the acceleration curve doesn't match the engine power curve. It works OK if you "just drive it" and accept that it isn't a race car with seat whomping acceleration. I'm OK with that.

I noticed that the engine bears a hauntingly familiar resemblance to the Neon.

1. Do they still have head gasket issues, or is that gone?
2. How reliable is the CVT and can it be reprogrammed yet?
3. What other issues should I look for or be aware of?

Thanks, and I look forward to your responses.
Joe

Old 05-20-2012, 03:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Our 09 has been trouble free. The engine is different than the Neon (now a World Engine). I have heard of no head gasket issues. The CVT takes some getting used too, but works pretty well. Not sure if anyone makes a tuner yet, most 2011/2012 PCM's are encoded and hard to crack.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM
joester
Rookie

It wasn't hard to tell that the acceleration was different than the "standard automatic" transmission. Not sure how passing vehicles on the highway will work out, but I'm sure it isn't all that difficult to get used to.

I'm a little leery about the water leaks reported by some, but I don't believe that affects all Calibers.

We'll see what the final numbers are Tuesday when I can get back to the dealer.

Thanks!
Joe

Old 05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you wait another month and see if you like the Dodge Dart first.
There was never head gasket problem with the world engine, it is only ppl keep driving the car AFTER it overheat and cause a blown HG. Like leaking coolant. you know when you overheat, you have like 5 minute to pull over to a safe spot. But some ppl didn't know what to do and drive it into the repair shop while it is overheating.
The CVT shows less problem than conventional Trans. But of course, there is no 100% gurantee, all u get is a 5yr 100k miles powertrain waranty.

common problems with the Caliber are front end suspension, like tie rod, control arms, blown strut, at maybe... 60k mile-ish, depending on road condition around your area. that's about it.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
joester
Rookie

I had the overheat-boil over on my Neon...and the gauge never indicated a problem. Even when the engine was in mid-nuclear melt down ( I have seriously NEVER seen an engine blow steam like that) the gauge was on the lower side of "normal". If I was on the highway, I would have had no inkling of any trouble under the hood unless the steam made a vapor trail.

Yes, the new Dart looks like a pretty cool vehicle, but I need seating for 5 adults and my credit union is offering 1.99% on any vehicle, new or used. I can only nurse the Neon along for a while and that is becoming harder to do.

I took the family (Grandma included) in the Caliber fir a test drive and the fit was OK.If we decided to surprise my parents in Florida for Christmas or Easter, we could pack the family and all our stuff into the rear and hit the road. The Neon was a bit cramped in comparison.

Has anyone ever towed a trailer behind a CVT Caliber? I'm talking a small light duty trailer with a GWR under 1000lbs. Not that I plan to, but I wonder how the CVT handles the load.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:35 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, get a Jeep Compass/Patriot then, They are the exact same vehicle. But it have more manual control of the trans for towing. But if you are trying to tow a boat, I suggest you to get something more heavy duty.
I think the Dart will hit the showroom end of this month or next month. and it is bigger than a Neon, with better gas mileage.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 AM
joester
Rookie

Towing I was referring to would be light duty only. Maybe a small utility trailer on occasion to move a large appliance.

I have a Ford Escape that I'm using now and just wondered.

If the Dart came out in February like they said it would, I'm sure I would be considering it. Unfortunately, I don't have time to wait for Dodge to get the Dart moving.

Quick Reply: Simple questions (maybe)