Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

question about wires in headrest

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 PM
elelbee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking question about wires in headrest

I recently bought a 2010 Caliber for my teenage daughter. I was hoping to get her a sheepskin seat cover for Christmas. But, the headrest needs to be removed to install the seat cover.

If I temporarily disconnect the wires running to the headrest and then reconnect them once the seat cover is installed, will I have any problems? Will anything need to be "reset" after disconnecting those wires? Will I forever have a light lit on the dash?

Any advice appreciated!!

(BTW, Daughter just bought a Rudolph nose and antlers for the Caliber and it looks absolutely adorable! Will hafta try to post a pic!)

Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I am pretty sure that those wires are for an airbag in the headrest. I do not know if unplugging them will effect anything or not. To be safe, it might be wise to unhook the battery until you are done with the installation.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are Active Head Restraints. Sort of like "Rock'em, Sock 'em Robot" heads. There are no airbags in them, but they are spring loaded. You can unplug them with no issues. Whenever you unplug an airbag system component and it makes the light come on, the light will go off after it's connected back. Sometimes you may have to cycle the key after, but mostly not.

Last edited by TNtech; 12-01-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 PM
elelbee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies, they definitely help. And I love the "rock'em sock'em robots" comparison! That's kind of the idea I got when I read about the "active head restraints" online. I had never heard of that feature, though. Is it pretty commonly used in cars?
(They should call them rock'em sock'em headrests, but I guess that wouldn't go over well with buyers! LOL)

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by elelbee
Thank you for the replies, they definitely help. And I love the "rock'em sock'em robots" comparison! That's kind of the idea I got when I read about the "active head restraints" online. I had never heard of that feature, though. Is it pretty commonly used in cars?
(They should call them rock'em sock'em headrests, but I guess that wouldn't go over well with buyers! LOL)
They typically won't be in base models, but almost all above mid range packages. You don't have to replace them when they deploy. Pull them back and latch them. They're meant to slow your neck/head recoil.

Quick Reply: question about wires in headrest