Dodge Caliber The new sporty Dodge Caliber is a hatchback that replaces the Dodge Neon. The Dodge Caliber is here to stay!

Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Syriel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door

yeah i know, i just watched it. doesn't show anything i didn't already know about for storage issues. disappointing

Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Dakota_24

ok, so this should answer your questions...the salesman will show you the same stuff that was in the video; trust me, I went and looked at one yesterday. did you see the back, and how they had it packed and what it was packed with?
ORIGINAL: Syriel

yeah i know, i just watched it. doesn't show anything i didn't already know about for storage issues. disappointing

Old 04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
74scamp
Record Breaker

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll be completely happy/satisfied with anything.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Syriel

i'll be able to tell more tomorrow when i go to the dealership.

but no one has answered the questions about UConnect or iPod integration. and i'd appreciate some user opinions on ease of use for HVAC controls, steering wheel speed control and the center console (all things i use often in my curren vehicle)

Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 PM
VulnoX
Professional

i'll be able to tell more tomorrow when i go to the dealership.

but no one has answered the questions about UConnect or iPod integration. and i'd appreciate some user opinions on ease of use for HVAC controls, steering wheel speed control and the center console (all things i use often in my curren vehicle)
Uconnect is bluetooth, and I believe it works through a setup in the rearview mirror, and should work with any aftermarket radio that has DIN connections in back. Almost every radio offers the ability to mute with a speakerphone type system, this would be no different. I dont know for sure, but considering how long UConnect has been around, it shouldnt be hard to find this info from almost any Dodge vehicle forum.

The iPod integration kit isnt out for the Caliber yet, but it should be soon, and I believe it will only work for the upgraded radio's (the base radio with the Aux in port in the front isnt supported, I know this because I have one and have checked).

But they do have an iPod kit out now, and they are expanding its use for the Caliber in the next month or less, and it will give you full options. Playlist control from the radio, charging, wheel controls, everything. It will be there, but it might be a little bit longer before its at the dealers for the caliber. It isnt factory.

In my experience with my R/T, you should have no problem fitting stuff in the back hatch area. I have a big Cargo box back there I am starting to keep all my school books and crap in so it isnt always sliding around my back seat. Even with that there I had no trouble also fitting a square folding leg table in there, say around 4-5 foot by 4-5 foot. I had to lean the seats forward a bit for that, but only because the cargo box was back there. I only had to lean them forward (which may only be possible with the upgraded SXT and R/T, not fold them forward. There is a surprising amount of space. I would be surprised if you had a problem getting two bags, tennis rackets, bowling ball, etc, back there all at once. Besides, most of the time the bowling ball can sit up front or in the back seats, meaning there is enough room for sure.

I really dont know why you arent considering the Fusion if you want a sweet Ford vehicle.

We have a 2006 Fusion, and I would take that over the Caliber in a heartbeat if my Caliber wasnt AWD. That is honestly the only thing that made me cross over to Dodge, was the AWD in a fuel efficient vehicle for so cheap. In Michigan that can be a big thing when ti comes to getting to work and college.

Our Fusion though, man, what a great car. The trunk space would fit all your stuff with ease. Our Fusion is the SEL, loaded with everything except it has the base engine and a manual. We wanted the most comfort, but best fuel economy. The car gets 27.5 or better all day long in stop and go traffic, and over 31 MPG on the highway. The Caliber cant touch that in my experience.

The seats still fold down if you ever needed it, but seriously, you wouldnt believe the trunk space.

On top of that, this car is solid as hell. No squeaks, rattles, anything. Best interior I have ever seen Ford do, and we have owned everything, Lincoln LS's, Jaguar's, you name our family has had it. It rides a hell of a lot nicer and quieter than the Caliber as well.

I know I am not at the right site to be all about the Fusion, but I am not going to lie when I see a much better car. It might cost you an extra $1,000, it might not, it depends on what equipment package you want, but if its in your budget I suggest test driving a Fusion. It seats the same number of people as your other choices, gets better mileage, is a great looking car, and is top notch in quality.

Just trying to give you an opinion, take it or leave it.

Good luck and let me know what you go with!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 AM
RiCEADDiCTBOY

they are wagons, not SUV's. crossovers at most, but definately NOT SUV's.

thing is, i'm not always able to go home after i get out of work before i meet up with my friends for all the various activities we do together. so keeping my golf bag, tennis racket and shoes, bowling shoes, softball bag in my car is how i live. it doesn't look homeless, i keep it organized and neat. a place for everything, everything in its place. what i'd be very interested in, is whether the caliber as alot of interior storage for my papers and folders (such as back side seat storage that most normal cars have). i'm looking at the caliber tomorrow, i should be able to answer my questions then, but again, any info you guys can provide is appreciated.

and i'm a ford truck man, not ford cars. i've looked at the focus...the US focus looks as bland as the new 500. no appeal at all.
the caliber is actually labeled as a "CUV." ( CUV DEFINITION )

Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call the Caliber a hatchback, call the Caliber a wagon since it has 4 doors, call it a crossover. But don't call it an SUV, it does nothing an SUV does, besides having a hatch. It is not even near the size of an SUV.

Dodge themselves call it a compact...

I don't know why this is so hard to understand...

Old 04-08-2006, 07:08 PM
savvy

Syriel -

I'll preface in hopes that my opinion will carry some validity.

I was raised in a Chrysler family. My uncle works at the plant (I still do have faith in Dodge Trucks).
That uncle owned two Chargers,a Jeep, and a full size Dodge Van. My other Uncle owned a Dart, a Valiant, and restored an Aspen. His father (my Grandfather) owned a Newport and a Sundance. My father owned a Polara, Cordoba and LeBaron. My mother owned a Dart. So please understand that it pains me to say that a 3 vs. a Caliber is a no brainer. Go with the 3.

In terms of compact cars, the Neon is a joke. They are a joke off the line, and they are a joke in terms of longevity (which it seems to me is important to you). Why do I bring up Neon in a Caliber thread? Do you really think Mopar/Chrysler/Mercedes has really made a breakthrough in producing quality small cars in that short of a time? No. It's not reasonable to make such a leap. I test drove a Caliber with the CVT. While it was roomy, it wasn't responsive, the interior is cheap, there was just nothing impressive about it. I own a 3 hatch. I've driven the hell out of it. I've put a cord of firewood in it, hauled family around int and all it does is come back for more. Considering the 3 is essentially a Volvo S40 with a Mazda engine (that has proven itself in the low end 6) and Mazda badge; safety, longevity, and handling are all but assured. The interior of the 3 is superior. To coin a phrase I would label a 3 hatch as a "UUV - Ultimate Utility Vehicle". What do I mean by that? At 160 hp you can haul some small stuff, furniture, jet skis, etc. You can do this while its' look is at the VERY least contemporary, and "euro-sporty" without looking the least bit wimpy. It's been described too many times by too many sources (including myself) as "intimidating" for it to be seen any other way. You can show up at the club, a play, or at the baseball game and it still fits in all contexts. It kills plenty of V6s (not to mention pretty much any non-turbo 4cyl ) off the line. I destroyed an Avenger just a couple of weeks ago. And finally when driven right you can get 33 mpg.

The only way I would even lean toward Caliber is if AWD is a must. Even if AWD IS a must, why not consider a Matrix AWD?

It's very easy math dude. Until the Caliber proves itself somehow by demonstrating some miraculous upgrade in design and process by Chrysler, go with the 3.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Xtreme Thunder
Professional

ORIGINAL: savvy

Syriel -

I'll preface in hopes that my opinion will carry some validity.

I was raised in a Chrysler family. My uncle works at the plant (I still do have faith in Dodge Trucks).
That uncle owned two Chargers,a Jeep, and a full size Dodge Van. My other Uncle owned a Dart, a Valiant, and restored an Aspen. His father (my Grandfather) owned a Newport and a Sundance. My father owned a Polara, Cordoba and LeBaron. My mother owned a Dart. So please understand that it pains me to say that a 3 vs. a Caliber is a no brainer. Go with the 3.

In terms of compact cars, the Neon is a joke. They are a joke off the line, and they are a joke in terms of longevity (which it seems to me is important to you). Why do I bring up Neon in a Caliber thread? Do you really think Mopar/Chrysler/Mercedes has really made a breakthrough in producing quality small cars in that short of a time? No. It's not reasonable to make such a leap. I test drove a Caliber with the CVT. While it was roomy, it wasn't responsive, the interior is cheap, there was just nothing impressive about it. I own a 3 hatch. I've driven the hell out of it. I've put a cord of firewood in it, hauled family around int and all it does is come back for more. Considering the 3 is essentially a Volvo S40 with a Mazda engine (that has proven itself in the low end 6) and Mazda badge; safety, longevity, and handling are all but assured. The interior of the 3 is superior. To coin a phrase I would label a 3 hatch as a "UUV - Ultimate Utility Vehicle". What do I mean by that? At 160 hp you can haul some small stuff, furniture, jet skis, etc. You can do this while its' look is at the VERY least contemporary, and "euro-sporty" without looking the least bit wimpy. It's been described too many times by too many sources (including myself) as "intimidating" for it to be seen any other way. You can show up at the club, a play, or at the baseball game and it still fits in all contexts. It kills plenty of V6s (not to mention pretty much any non-turbo 4cyl ) off the line. I destroyed an Avenger just a couple of weeks ago. And finally when driven right you can get 33 mpg.

The only way I would even lean toward Caliber is if AWD is a must. Even if AWD IS a must, why not consider a Matrix AWD?

It's very easy math dude. Until the Caliber proves itself somehow by demonstrating some miraculous upgrade in design and process by Chrysler, go with the 3.
Thanks for the insight savvy, but all you posted and ranted about was all opinion on the 3 vs. Caliber, I say Syriel test drive it yourself and make your own judgements!

Whats special about the 3?

Old 04-08-2006, 10:09 PM
savvy

If you have to ask that, you didn't read my post completely.

Quick Reply: Caliber vs. Mazda3 5-door