Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Power Window - Switch or Motor, or both

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:29 PM
LT102
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window - Switch or Motor, or both

Preparing to replace power window motor #3 on the driver's side of our 2001. Got to thinking maybe it's the switch and not the motor. After replacing the motor all works fine for about a year and then the window will go down and come back up a little then stop and after you wait a few minutes it may come up the rest of the way. As time goes by it won't come up at all unless you pull on the window and after it gets started it will close all the way. Is it motor, or switch or both?

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
vlmuke
Professional
Default RE: Power Window - Switch or Motor, or both

I would say its the motor caravan are notorious for having crappy motor I would suggest replacing the mechinism along with the motor as they tend toget moisture in them and bind when they start to corrode shortening the life of the motor

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
2Caravans

It is the regulator assembly that is causing the motor to burn up. Replace the entire regulator assembly.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
TJeepman
Professional

First time I have heard of replacing that many motors for the same window. When I replaced mine (Summer 2005 for Driver's side and Summer 2006 for Passenger's side) I could only get the regulator assembly which included the motor. All has been well since.
The motor seems weak and doesn't take too much to jam it after it has had some use. I believe there is an overload protection somewhere as well which causes the power to cut out once the motor bogs down, hence the tendency to blame the switch. I have experimented a bit, hot wired the motor and it worked. I have also backed off the two little nuts on the boltsthat hold the motor together and that frees up the motor as well. Some people slam the door and press the window switch at the same time and that jars the motor free to work. Some lubricate the cable mechanism and the tracks the window slides in to lessen the grabbing on the window.
In your case perhaps some lubrication will help, including the black weatherstrip that the window goes up into. I found that tended to grab the window in humid weather. Otherwise might be best to replace the whole regulator assembly, including motor, (as stated already in another Post) which is likely made by a different Supplier as will be evidenced by a somewhat different attachment mechanism. Various Posts on the web deal with regulator replacement including the Chrysler Minivan Forum.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
sabre

2 related questions, both concerning a 1998 Caravan:

1) Both of the rear windows (the small powered pop-out ones) have quit working. Am I looking at the same situation, or is it different?

2) I read in the manual that instead of fuses, the power windows have reset-able relays that are supposed to be "dealer-only" work. Is there any possible way to check them and maybe DIY-reset them if they have tripped??

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
TJeepman
Professional

1) Both of the rear windows (the small powered pop-out ones) have quit working. Am I looking at the same situation, or is it different?
It's a different mechanism. Did both windows stop working at the same time? If so, power to the switch may be the issue. One way to check that is to direct wire from the battery to the switch

2) I read in the manual that instead of fuses, the power windows have reset-able relays that are supposed to be "dealer-only" work. Is there any possible way to check them and maybe DIY-reset them if they have tripped??
Do you have a wiring diagram for the window motors? I will check the Haynes Manual and see what it has.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
craptastic_caravan

Originally Posted by TJeepman
First time I have heard of replacing that many motors for the same window. When I replaced mine (Summer 2005 for Driver's side and Summer 2006 for Passenger's side) I could only get the regulator assembly which included the motor. All has been well since.
The motor seems weak and doesn't take too much to jam it after it has had some use. I believe there is an overload protection somewhere as well which causes the power to cut out once the motor bogs down, hence the tendency to blame the switch. I have experimented a bit, hot wired the motor and it worked. I have also backed off the two little nuts on the boltsthat hold the motor together and that frees up the motor as well. Some people slam the door and press the window switch at the same time and that jars the motor free to work. Some lubricate the cable mechanism and the tracks the window slides in to lessen the grabbing on the window.
In your case perhaps some lubrication will help, including the black weatherstrip that the window goes up into. I found that tended to grab the window in humid weather. Otherwise might be best to replace the whole regulator assembly, including motor, (as stated already in another Post) which is likely made by a different Supplier as will be evidenced by a somewhat different attachment mechanism. Various Posts on the web deal with regulator replacement including the Chrysler Minivan Forum.
I am thinking there has to be another problem. I !JUST! replaced my passenger side window motor and regulator with a brand new one and both it and the drivers side are soo weak you can only get them up with the car in park and the engine revved a little. Is there a control box or a relay I can replace that will restore the power the windows once had? A BRAND NEW window motor/regulator shouldn't have trouble going up and down. Sorry to drag this thread out again but I NEED answers.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
hespinoza41

Hi friends, I'm new in the forum since I bought a used Dodge Caravan SE 2001. At the beginning everything worked fine 'till the passenger side window fail to work. Reading in internet about the issue I bought a new after market motor and regulator, while waiting delivery the drivers window also failed. Today I worked changing the passenger's side window, finished the mounting and make the trial with the switch itself: OH surprise, it DIDN'T WORKED!!! Nothing, not a single noise: frustrating Someone has an experience like this and solved? Maybe a relay? (fuses seem to be ok) Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for voltage at the motor connector using a multimeter or test light. Should see 12vdc at one pin with the switch up and at the other pin with the switch down. If it's there they sent you a bad motor. A single fuse and relay powers all your windows.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
hespinoza41
Default Power windows motor and regulator

Hi friends, finally I finished installation and after testing I found this: The new motor and regulator works OK, the problem is also in the switches, the passangers side switch don't work and also the drivers one is out, the only switch working (that how I found the problems is the drivers switch that handles the passanger side window). Also when testing don't forget to have all switches installed, the wiring is interconnected, if one of the switches is not plugged in the system won't work and you might think that is still failing. Now I will go to get the drivers side motor and regulator and switches also. Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Power Window - Switch or Motor, or both