Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bad Tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 AM
BJDEALER1973
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Tranny fluid

I just recently bought a 2000 Grand Caravan 3.3 with 170000 miles on it. I really needed a vehicle so of course i missed some things. I seem to have brown/black tranny fluid. The van drives absolutely great. I dont seem to have any shifting problems yet. What should i do about the bad tranny fluid? I have heard mixed thoughts on this. Some people say flush it and some say leave it alone. Should i throw some Lucas tranny treatment in there? I am thinking since i dont have any problems right now it might be ok to flush. I am right? Please i dont know what to do. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a slippage problem. I dropped the pan and changed the filter and 2 weeks later no second gear. I am really up in the air about this.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Bad Tranny fluid

I'd probably leave it alone.It goes against reason but sometimes changing really old tranny fluid brings new problems.The brown/black color says the fluid has been overheated by slipping clutches and a rebuild might be in the future anyway.
I don't use additives in anything but if you have a leaking transmission you could just keep it topped off,thereby changing the fluid one pint at a time.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are not having any problems with the trans, I would leave it along. Just because the fluid is brown doesn'tmeans you have a problem.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 PM
BJDEALER1973

I am sure glad you guys replied THX!! I was really worried about it. I was driving the van today though and i did notice that it shifts real hard when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st if you press on the gas pretty hard. It almost hesitates a little but not quite. I do not have any lack of power though the van is an ox. Is this the sign of problems to come?

Quick Reply: Bad Tranny fluid