Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Caravan 4 speed auto trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
lefty525
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Caravan 4 speed auto trans leak

I was informed that my front axle seals were leaking, so had them replaced. Unfortunately I let the oil change place "service" the trans . . . big mistake! My pan leaked like crazy until I replaced the pan gasket myself with the metal reusable trans pan gasket using the correct torque settings and sequencing. I subsequently hit a large pothole that created a vibration. That turned out to be a damaged right front axle. The vibration was cured but now it seemed the axle seal was leaking. I had the seal replaced but it still seems to be leaking. The replaced axle is a NAPA re-man. Is it possible the axle could not be up to spec in the diameter that fits thru the seal? I'd like to find the specs for the diameter of the axle where is passes thru the seal and then "mic it" to see if thatcould be the present problem which is leaking with a new seal installed. Any help on finding these specs would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The seal could have been damage when either axle was removed or installed. You could also have diff bearings that wearing to the point, causing the seal to leak.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:26 AM
lefty525
Lightbulb

Thanks for your reply and another possibility! I guess it might be possible the diff bearings could have been damaged by the warped axle causing vibration that wore the bearings to the point the axle doesn't run true. If that were the case though wouldn't I feel a vibration while driving? The vehicle is very smooth at all speeds. I assume there is no way to check those nearings without pulling the trans? I still need to find the specs for axle stub diameter!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
lefty525
Red face Seal leak verified.

I think your diagnosis of bad bearings is correct! I cleaned everything spotless. Then while the van was in the air I put it into drive and let it shift into O/D. Then I watched as drops of fluid leaked thru the seal and dripped off of the housing for the seal. I think driving with the bad axle for so long probably wore those bearing. I need to find out if the passenger side bearing can be replaced with the trans installed by unbolting and removing the extensions that hold the seal where the axles fit. Can anyone help with that info?

Last edited by lefty525; 12-23-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:07 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Some possibilities:
- damaged seal as stated previously (a likely cause)
- roughness on the axle shaft where it goes through the seal (which will create openings for leaks or wear the seal)
- too much fluid in the transmission and a build up of pressure that is not being relieved through the vent (the vent may be the filler tube) but through a weak axle seal instead.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
shafner79

Hi,

I have a 98 and the trans is leaking on it. I installed a pan and filter kit, but now I think the back pan/seal is leaking??? Anyone know what that gasket is called? It is on the back side of the trans, between the crossmember and trans. Looks like I have enough room to change it, but not sure.

Help!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
smokemci80

i am having the same proglem with my van i replaced the seal on the driver side twice already and its a reman axle that i put in when i replaced the first seal. how would i go about doing the bearings and do i really have to drop the tranny? someone please give me some insight i cant afford all this fluid!!!!!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
22mopar22
Banned

first if you replaced the seal 2 times and still leaks after 3 seals (original +2 you installed). I'd think that there's a different problem did you replace the seal in the vehicle or did you remove the housing to install the seal?

the BEST thing to do is pressure wash the entire area. put some trace dye in the trans fluid, drive it and verify the exact source of the leak. it could be comming from somewhere else and appears to be the seal. I've rarely seen the cv seals pouring fluid as the cause of leak.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:29 PM
smokemci80

i replaced it on the vehical dont know if i could take the plate off or not and if i do which i was thinking about is there a gasket behing it that i would have to replace and if it ends up being the bearings a shot can i replace them front the same spot? this is a nightmare i need this van for work and its killing me!!!!!! its not a hard task to do at all honestly its just a pain in the ***!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

smokeci80

Welcome to DF

What year is the van and engine size? One of the things I do before installing a new/reman and seal. I would put the seal on the axle to make sure its a good fit. Then I would remove the old seal and install the new one, Then I would be careful to put the axle thru the new seal and push the axle in until I hear a click. Then I know the axle has locked into place. But if you have a lot of miles on the transmission and the axle has a lot up and down movement, because the diff bearings are failing. The axle seals will not last very long. The fix would be to replace the bearings and cups and both seals.

Quick Reply: 1997 Caravan 4 speed auto trans leak