Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

3.8L oil disappearing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 AM
kuyabribri
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoDakBrak
Hi everyone. I too had this problem. Oil was going somewhere in my 3.8, but I had no blue smoke, and the 2007 Grand Caravan had been maintained meticulously. Took it to my independent mechanic, who's treated me right for the last 20 years. He called some friends in the business, and told me the problem was probably in rear valve cover. He showed me the old valve cover, which had a hose connection right in the middle of it, and he said that they could see oil being drawn up the hose, and said that would probably explain it. I just had this done two days ago, so I will let you know whether or not this worked.
Could you tell us what exactly this mechanic did? Based on your description there is a very good chance that that hose is part of the PCV system and unless he replaced the PCV valve or installed a catch can (which probably wouldn't solve your oil loss issue anyways) you don't want to tamper with that hose's function, even if it is sucking in a little oil.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM
GQ-ROD
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like it's the PCV hose which goes to the rear valve cover, sounds strange that it would be the cause of the oil loss unless there is no pcv valve there and thus all the blow by oil is being drawn into the intake manifold/combustion chamber and being burned. But stranger things have happened with these vans!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
tjnc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current daily 4th gen has a 3.8l. It can only be valves, head, pan, or piston rings.

Do compression checks and look for leaks at the pan and filter?

Quick Reply: 3.8L oil disappearing??