Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 GC transmission issues....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
slakr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GC transmission issues....HELP!!

so i just bought a 98 grand caravan from my dad knowing it has transmission issues but my only problem is that i dont know what the problem(s) are. here's what happens off and on: when i put the van in gear (and it doesnt matter which gear) it will feel like it goes into gear nice and smooth but when you hit the gas the engine revs and no movement occurs. sometimes i have to wait it out and then itll move and other times i have to put it in all the gears and then go back to the one i want to get it to move. since my dad first bought this van back in 98 weve noticed that the tranny was never quite right but it was only when driving. the issue then was when you would try to pass someone on the highway the tranny wouldnt drop to a lower gear for the instant power, it would just rev and leave you hangin. if anyone knows what the cause of my most recent problem (van not moving) please let me know everything you know. thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Ck the fluid level and then ck for codes and CVI's. You will need a scanner to ck for the codes and cvi's.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
slakr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone i took the van over to a friends house and hooked it up to his genesys and the van threw these 2 codes: p0732a (gear 2 incorrect ratio) and p0736 (reverse incorrect ratio). im researching these 2 codes at the moment but any input as to what these mean and how screwed i am would be of great assistance. thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Heres the bad news, The transmission will need to come out. You may have a broken hard part or clutches.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

= pretty screwed
Sorry
Does your buddy with the genisys know how to rebuild trannies?

Quick Reply: 98 GC transmission issues....HELP!!