Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

05 Grand Caravan Weird A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:22 PM
ecruz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Grand Caravan Weird A/C issue

My Grand Caravan has separate climate controls for the front two seats and the back seats. The passenger side and the rear get really cold. The driver side, is a good 10-15 degrees warmer. If it's over 80 outside, the driver side is blowing HOT air, even with the temp turned down as low as it can go. Also, intermittent hissing from under the dash. I'm assuming they are related.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
E-

Last edited by ecruz; 06-25-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
scootermiller

hey ecruz i got a 06 grand caravan with the same problem with the ac on driver side hot air passenger side cooler the rear ac is ice cold . please advise if any one has a solution . thanks scootermiller

Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

that one throws me for a loop, because I know (or at least Im pretty sure) that the rear climate control is a separate system from the front, complete with its own heater core....but why the pass side and driver's side would be different, I don't know?? I'll look into it though

I wonder, is it a control problem??

Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM
scootermiller
Default grand caravan a/c problem

hey jon i think your right with the rear a/c-heat & its own heater core, but it run's off the same a/c compressor as the front. if it was a compressor problem the front or back woulden't work

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see that alot when the system is low on freon, don't ask me to explain it but might want to check your rear evaperator/h-valve assembly and see if it's leaking. It's very common for them to leak, the factory extended the warrenty on them to 7 yr/ 70,000 miles.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Working on an '05 Town and Country right now, complaining that the left side is 10 - 15 degrees warmer than the right side. Was a pound low on freon. Weird ****.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 PM
scootermiller

tizzy if the system was low on freon then the conpressor would cycle on and off ?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Depends on how low the system is. If you are very low, the compressor may not even come on.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

This one did, the system acts normal but the low side pressure usually goes alittle lower than normal and sometimes you can hear the hiss inside the vehicle with the a/c running.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM
doolart
Default same problem

I have an 05 Dodge Caravan and I have the same problem. We don't have the dual zones just the single zone in the front. The passenger side is cool (not cold) and the middle and driver side is hot. We inspected just about everything and figured it had something to do with the blend door or recerculation door. I found a TSB online so , despite knowing better,
I took it to a dodge dealer. After $185 they told me that I had pin holes in my compressor (likely from stones) and it would be $800 to replace it. I called a couple mechanics I know and they all don't see how that could cause the problem. They seem to think if the leak was hurting the compressor we would be getting no cool air. We picked up the van to take it for a second opinion and it was blowing cool. I am assuming this is because the freon was recharged and I am afraid we will eventually need the new compressor...waiting to see and gathering more info.

Quick Reply: 05 Grand Caravan Weird A/C issue