Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Dodge Grande Caravan leaking water on passenger floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
drdave
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too difficult to get all the way around the drain and to the firewall. And this would still allow the water to drip between the insulation and the firewall which can't be good. I messed with this for a month and the twenty five cent tube is by far the best solution.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

VEHICLE AND MODEL YEARS.
SUBJECT:
HVAC Drain Water (AC Condensate) Leaks Under Passenger Side Carpet
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a HVAC drain tube O-ring.
MODELS:
**2004 - 2006 (CS) Pacifica**
2001 - 2006 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
2001 - 2006 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before December 16, 2005 (MDH
1216XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a wet front passenger floor or floor carpet. This condition may
be due to water (A/C condensate) from the HVAC assembly drain tube.
DIAGNOSIS:
Verify the passenger side front floor or carpet is wet. Check the source of the water leak.
As A/C condensate leaves the HVAC drain tube, it may run back along the outside of the
drain tube, past the seal, and under the passenger side front floor carpet. If the HVAC
assembly drain tube is the cause of the water leak, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 68001994AA O-ring
NUMBER: 24-001-06 REV A
GROUP: Heating & A/C
DATE: November 10, 2006
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Disconnect the battery.
2. Disconnect the inlet air temperature sensor.
3. Loosen the clamp and remove the inlet hose from the throttle body (leave the other
end attached to the air cleaner housing cover).
4. Remove the air cleaner housing cover.
5. Inspect the HVAC drain tube. Clean out any debris or other restrictions in the drain.
6. Install the HVAC drain O-ring onto the HVAC drain tube, making sure the O-ring is 6
mm (0.25 in.) onto the keyway on the top of the HVAC drain and beyond the slot in the
bottom of the HVAC drain.
7. Install the air cleaner housing cover.
8. Attach the inlet hose to the throttle body and tighten clamp.
9. Reconnect the inlet air temperature sensor.
10. Reconnect the battery.
11. Set the clock to the correct time.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM
crsfulk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly question, but how do you get to the drain on a 2003? It is far enough back and low enough that I cannot get my arm thru there. Can you get to it easier from the bottom?

Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 PM
drdave
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remove the air cleaner assembly and the air inlet hose that goes to the throttle body. And then stretch your are really good!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
golddodge
Default multiple causes

Sorry about that broken message. Anyway, the water leaking on passenger floor can be caused by several malfunctions.
1. A/C condensate drain hose. The problem is that the factory hose was too short, and only extended a little out of the body. The fix for this is to extend the hose. Any little piece of hose that can be pushed on and glued will fix this problem.
2. Fresh air inlet. This problem is caused by the caulk cracking inside the inlet duct work. This allows leaking into the car during heavy rains. Sadly there is not an easy fix for this problem. It is very labor intensive to disassemble the car enough to get to all the original caulk inside this fresh air intake.
3. Leaking windshield is a third possiblity.
4. Leaking heater core is a fourth.

It takes a little detective work to determine the source. Between the A/C and fresh air inlet, you can determine if the water comes in primarily in the summer (when using the AC--and only if you live in a humid place like). IF it leaks in the winter, you are not getting AC condensate.

In my case, the car only leaked with heavy rains.

Here is a cheap and short-cut fix to leaking fresh-air intakes which has only one draw back.
Remove windshield wipers. Remove the drain cover which is at the bottom of the windshield (about 5 torx screws). This is a plastic cover the width of the windshield and about 6 inches from front to back. Remove the nuts holding the drain pain (again the pan is the width of the windshield and collects all the water running off the windshield). This allows you to move the drain pan away from the firewall (toward the front bumper) exposing all the fresh air inlet holes used to draw in fresh air. These holes are usually on the order of 3 inches high and from 3 to 6 inches across. There were about 6 of these across the fire wall. (incidentally, if you get to this stage you will see how hard it would be to get inside these openings and seal the caulk--which would be the best fix). Cut heavy plastic film to fit each hole, and silicone these over the holes. Reinstall drain cover and wiper arms.
I did this several months ago. No wet carpet even though running the AC all the time and driving through absolutely torrential downpours.
Now for the one draw back--I sealed the fresh air intakes, and so have to use the recirculate button when I want heat, AC, or fan. In nice weather, I can put the windows down.
If you can put up with this draw back, this fix really works.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

heater core usually leaks on the drivers floor.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
tiny450
Question 2001 dodge caravan dripping

My 2001 dodge caravan is dripping by the right front tire.I took it into the dealer who was baffled as to its source.It does it some times and
yet right now it is fine.The tech thought it was the oil pan but was not sure.It is dark liquid,everything else the tech said is fine.I am afraid to go any where but the tech said it is safe to drive.Please advise.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
mdk633
Default '03 Dodge Caravan Cracked HVAC Box

The o-ring/ water tube was previously repaired, but the carpet on the front passenger side is still getting wet when the AC is run - 3 zone AC/Heat option. The dealer is diagnosing a cracked hvac box, and a $1200 cost to dissasemble and replace. Anyone have a less expensive alternative? duct tape, caulking, etc? Thanks in advance...

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is cracked, should be able to silicon it up

Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Catfish Phil

Thank you for this thread - a short piece of garden hose works just fine, too. The only problem for me was rubbing my left wrist on the power steering line clamp - used some channel lock pliers to turn it out of the way.

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Grande Caravan leaking water on passenger floor