Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2004 Grand Caravan losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:14 PM
PaulSchwartz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Grand Caravan losing coolant

I have a 2004 Grand Caravan SXT that loses about a gallon of coolant a week. But it has no leaks. It seems to lose it only from the reservoir, but not from the radiator. The heater core and a coolant line to the heater core were replaced a couple of months ago at great expense. Any thoughts? Please help.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Fill the cooling system and pressure ck,also the passenger floor for wet carpet.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
PaulSchwartz

Thanks for the reply. The heater core was replaced two months ago. I took it to the dealer that did that repair and they say the water pump and line need to be replaced ($450). My brake light/ABS light went on also. They said that is the ABS control unit ($660). And the engine is missing. It probably needs a good tune up. I paid them their excessive labor charge and am now taking it elsewhere to get checked. Hopefully the repairs will be much less than at the dealer and I will be able to afford it. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Get the coolant fix and find out which cylinder is misfiring and replace the one spark plug for now, until you can do the rest.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM
KingsMan
Amateur

Losing coolant and engine misfire...do you have steam coming from the tailpipe? Could be an internal engine problem.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the rear coolant lines. They are well known for corroding and starting to leak. Check under the passenger side front seat as that seems to be where the leak appears first.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

PaulSchwarts said on their 3rd post that the water pump was leaking and the notice the engine was misfiring. Most Flat rate/ piece work techs would have said the engine has a blown head gasket and then sell them a water pump later. So they found an honest tech at a dealer.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 PM
PaulSchwartz

I had the water pump replaced and the spark plugs and wires replaced. The ABS and brake lights went on and I am waiting to get the CAB ABS control module from a junkyard, as a new one is almost $400 at a dealer only. Is this an easy part to install or should I take it back to the shop?

Quick Reply: 2004 Grand Caravan losing coolant