Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need help with spare keys & programming, 05 GC

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Kevioll
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with spare keys & programming, 05 GC

I recently upgraded my 02 GC Se to an 05 sxt, primarily because I wanted the sto n go seats, tired of lugging the seats out & in several times a week, As i use the van to transport both passengers and gear for work.
The new-to-me van came with only one Key, with the keyless and powerdoor buttons in the key head. I went to the dealer to see about a second key and have it programmed. The one with the buttons cost 120 + 40 to program, a standard key was 40+40. I opted for the standard key as i really only needed a spare.
They cut the new key but were unable to get it to program.. security module in the dash wouldn't accept the new key? The dealer says they've never programmed a standard key for a van with keyless, and the most likely solution was to order the expensive key and it would work. He gave me the bum key for free, so at least I have a way to get myself out of a jam if I lock the keys in the car, it does work in the doors and hatch. I asked if the new key could be defective, he said no, that never happens. I asked what if the 2nd, more expensive key doesn't work? what would happen? I was told that the module could be bad, but that was unlikely as it does work on the key I have.
Any thoughts?
I'm thinking if the 2nd key doesn't work, I could search the junkyard for a donor van to take the module, set of keys and ignition lock out of... would that work?
Another thing that's strange is that the exisiting, working key has a chrysler wing emblem on it, rather than a dodge emblem. Makes me wonder if something was swapped (screem module, etc) in the vans past life that would cause this complication.
Any help is much appreciated.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The key should have programmed. they are very tempramental sometimes and can be a pain to program.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

Well the expensive key with the button fob did work, 3 keys were programmed in memory, dealer cleared them all and reprogrammed my existing key and the new one.

When i got home with the 2 working keys, i tried to add the other key with the grey head using the 2 exisitng keys as outlined in the owners manual. but it still would not accept. the security light just continued blinking. There is no part number on the grey head key. is this type of key just not compatible with my van, or is this onea dud?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

It could be a valet key,meanning just to unlock the doors or liftgate.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Kevioll
Rookie

I always understood a valet key means it doesn't open the trunk or glove box, as the valet would of course need to start the car and move it. so you could store your valuables and the valet couldn't get to them. Now I also thought the grey head keys were security keys, where the black head, plain, no-button keys were non security. Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Need help with spare keys & programming, 05 GC