Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

08 grand caravan sxt tranny went out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 07:03 PM
gentz
|
Professional
Thumbs down 08 grand caravan sxt tranny went out.

well its been in the dealer for 1 month, havent got the van back yet. Called chrysler and they wont even give me a rental. The tranny went in for a whine noise then they supposably fixed the whine but then it would not shift from 3rd to 4th. New valve body is what the service writer stated was needed, they ordered it. Hey bad news the o ring seals didnt come with the valve body. one more day . Hope they fix it or else going to pursue lemon attorney! everyone watch out.. I am thinking this may be the last dodge, chrysler product i buy.

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

The problem is with the vendors,Chrysler blew this one.When they file for bankruptcy last june.So the vendors lost alot of money, because of chrysler.Now they only supply the parts when the vendors get paid first and then send the parts to the dealer. This also causes the parts to go on national back order.

Old 08-09-2010 | 12:19 PM
gentz
|
Professional

Well here is an update, got the van back a month later, shifted good ran good but ac was not working, seems tech broke a line, got it fixed a couple days later. Drove it for 2 weeks all great, then i went on a trip, 120 mile round, tranny started to whine from 1st all the way to what appears 4th, 2nd to 3rd shift is hard, and when coming to a stop transmission downshifts and pulls van. back to the dealer. I talked to the service writer, commented why they didnt put a mew tranny in it as it would of been better for them and less problems, but here we are again... too bad....they gotta fix it now...

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

There is a big problem with transmission.They are on back order and don't when they will be release. Thats why the dealer needs to fix the transmission. The whinnig sound you are hearring is the underdrive compound bearings.And the number thrust bearing on the front carrier assy.

Old 08-10-2010 | 10:54 AM
gentz
|
Professional

Its a joke with Dodge in Salinas. No loaner car, no rental. Maybe i should transfer the van to you mastertech, these guys here dont seem to know much.

Old 08-10-2010 | 05:19 PM
gentz
|
Professional
Angry

Took the van today, they supposably cant hear the noise or feel the shift. I explained what you stated above the service3 writer just sat quietly. His next statement " you know the van is out of warranty we screwed up so we are going to eat it but we will not fix it or stand by the warranty" I have invoice with their repair of just last 2 weeks that took a month to do and did not fix the issue, i guess my next step is an attorney! What will you guys suggest, lemon attorney or go after de actual dealer?

Old 08-10-2010 | 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Try calling 1-800-992-1997,this is the chrysler customer service and get a factory rep involved.

Old 08-13-2010 | 09:33 AM
plumcrazy73
Captain

08 should have lifetime powertrain warranty if you bought it new, my 07 does and my 09 does

Old 08-30-2010 | 02:27 PM
gentz
|
Professional

Well i got a rep involved and it seems its the dealership techs, i took it in las thursday, test drove with the service manager. He did hear the sounds and felt the shifts his words, " lets test drive our shuttle, i do feel and see what you are talking about but these transmissions are very bad, we could tear down your transmission but what if something else goes wrong?" at this point i knew that their tech is not that good. Me as a ASE master tech know enough to see there is damage in the transmission as the whine is not normal. I agreed to test drive their shuttle, does make a whining sound when you start going then goes away, mine gets louder at about 4rth gear now then 5 and 6th quiets completely.....very frustrated with this van.. it is nice, mi wife loves it but im loosing confidence...They dont want to stand behind their warranty either....this is looking like its going to have to go legal way...

Old 08-30-2010 | 10:15 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Keep us posted on what happens.

Quick Reply: 08 grand caravan sxt tranny went out.