Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission solenoid ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:02 PM
noneentered
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission solenoid ?

2000 dodge caravan 3.0 V6 about 261 thousand Kms on the tranny

Heading to work last night my check engine light came on didn't really think to much about it until i left to do my run (newpaper delivery) noticed right away that the van was not shifting seemed like it was in limp mode immediatly brought it home and hooked up the code scanner and pulled P0755 and P0700 700 showed up twice .

Took a quick peek at it today pulled the connector and cleaned it all up reset the code got about a block and it came right back on so the Transmission solenoid im thinking ?

Important to note i keep a close eye on the fluid (s) the tranny fluid is not burnt smelling or dark at all the transmission always shifted perfect before this so smooth you cant even notice it shifting overall the tranny worked flawlessly before this so i cant see it being a mechanical fault am i barking up the right tree here ?

I know i really should get the thing scanned at the stealership but im not willing to pay the prices they want for that its a $600 van that i have used for 6 months now and simply cant justify the prices they want to do a simple code scan .

Thoughts ?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
sapporo
Banned

stealership? if you worked there you'd have a different opinion.

The more you know the more you can charge. a newspaper delivery person doesn't make as much as a transmission technican since the level of knowledge, tools, eduction is much higher

sounds like a solenoid pack. You performed diagnosis and you sumized it needs solenoid pack. go for it and see if that's the fix

Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
noneentered

Originally Posted by sapporo
stealership? if you worked there you'd have a different opinion.

If you lived here you would have a different opinion we have one Dodge dealer in town they want almost $200 to simply diagnose it i stand by my stealership statement

The more you know the more you can charge. a newspaper delivery person doesn't make as much as a transmission technican since the level of knowledge, tools, eduction is much higher

I am more than aware that education = $$$$ i didnt always deliver newspapers......Although you may be shocked at how much you can make delivering newspapers seriously .

sounds like a solenoid pack. You performed diagnosis and you sumized it needs solenoid pack. go for it and see if that's the fix
Thanks for confirming my thoughts though i really cannot see what else it could be .

Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 PM
sapporo
Banned

I can name off over a dozen things it could be but then I'd use a real scanner and read the transmission codes/data and not bother with the ambiguous engine codes.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM
noneentered

I can name off over a dozen things it could be but then I'd use a real scanner and read the transmission codes/data and not bother with the ambiguous engine codes.
Unfortunately that's not in the cards a "real scanner" is a purchase i have not got around too yet Bit since it went so quickly with no other warnings no signs of trouble at all i guess ill start there and hope thats's it .

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

What city do you live in that the dealer charges 200.00 an hour? The dealership i work at is only 165.00 an hour.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:48 AM
noneentered

Originally Posted by master tech
What city do you live in that the dealer charges 200.00 an hour? The dealership i work at is only 165.00 an hour.
Almost $200 and i am unsure if that is per hour or a job quote i asked how much to get them to scan the TCM they quoted me $185 + tax (13%). This is in Canada on the east coast .

Old 07-24-2010, 10:57 AM
sapporo
Banned

and for less than $500 US you can buy your own quality scanner on ebay (Snap-on MT2500)

and why go to a dealership? are there no quality trans or general repair shops that will work with you?

Some shops charge a lot up front for diagnostics and refund it if you have them fix it. That's what I'd do. Heck, why should I give someone free diagnostics so they can fix it themselves for free. I'd charge like $100 for diagnostics then credit it back to them if I get to fix it. For example if someone came with a no shift, no speedo, I'd charge $100 to connect my scanner to verify the speed sensor is bad. if they want me to fix it, I'll put in a new sensor and apply the $100 to the sensor and labor. So basically, they'd get their vehicle fixed for $100 parts and labor.

Price out the solenoid pack and let us know the price you find

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
noneentered

and for less than $500 US you can buy your own quality scanner on ebay (Snap-on MT2500)

and why go to a dealership? are there no quality trans or general repair shops that will work with you?

Some shops charge a lot up front for diagnostics and refund it if you have them fix it. That's what I'd do. Heck, why should I give someone free diagnostics so they can fix it themselves for free. I'd charge like $100 for diagnostics then credit it back to them if I get to fix it. For example if someone came with a no shift, no speedo, I'd charge $100 to connect my scanner to verify the speed sensor is bad. if they want me to fix it, I'll put in a new sensor and apply the $100 to the sensor and labor. So basically, they'd get their vehicle fixed for $100 parts and labor.

Price out the solenoid pack and let us know the price you find
No tranny shops i trust no we have a few around here but there are horror storys about all of them .
For prices so far the dealer wants $349 Carquest wants $249 i am waiting to hear back from another place now where i get huge discounts .

None of the salvage yards will sell them the only one i found that would
didnt have one everything closes early here on saturday in some cases arent open at all so looking like i will have to wait till Monday before i know for sure .

Plan B is to buy a whole frickkin parts van there are lots of them around and you can usually get them for $300 or less so im thinking that may be a way to go .

I have a 97 as well rebuilt tranny in it of course its the older one the 3 speed just my luck

Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
sapporo
Banned

1999 and 2000 only on the 3.0 overdrive trans. you can use a 1998 if you're handy enough to figure out the differences. 96 and 97 was 3 speed only behind the 3.0.

maybe you should just get a different vehicle all together. something non-chrysler so you don't have all these problems like everyone else.

you can get a sol pack from ANY 604 trans. just if it's got the foam cover, then you need to use 2 gaskets and steel plate it would come with. the newer design like your 2000 should have uses one gasket and no plate.

why not use the 97 for the paper route?

Quick Reply: Transmission solenoid ?