Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

evaporator and heater cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 PM
karnsem2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evaporator and heater cover

I pulled the ac and heater box/housing out of my '94 dodge caravan 3.0 v6 for heater core and evaporator replacement.

On top of the housing cover, (upper housing/top cover of the box), there is a small see-thru-hole directly above the evaporator chambe.

What is the purpose of this peep hole? It's not a screw hole, but it's there.

Did I miss something during disasemble?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
It maybe for a temp probe for the a/c evaporator.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 AM
karnsem2

Thanks, what's "temp probe for the a/c evaporator?" I need to be sure before it's put back together and mounts under the dash.Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably a hole for the vacuum harness retainers. There is no temp probe on a '94

Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
karnsem2

Thanks, perhaps it is ,not 100% sure tho, until maybe I get a definite answer,another issue is that I don't remember seeing the heater core tube seal when the box was removed from the van. Perhaps I misplaced it somewhere and don't recalled?

If the heater core was installed from factory with heater core seal then I dont know how it can be installed without the seal. It's on dealer's cancelled parts list.

Expecting a new heater core from the dealer tomorrow and if the seal is not included in the package then I'll need help finding one urgently.

I'll keep you informed. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

It might still be stuck to the firewall inside the car. And a new heater core doesn't come with a seal.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
karnsem2

Thanks Tizzy1 for the advance info about a new heater core doesn't come with seal.I've looked everywhere I can think of,including everywhere in the engine compartment.

Also some have said they believe the hole on the housing cover is probably for the vacuum harness retainers ... confirnimg what you said.

Ebay doesn't have the seal,I searched.Where else? Hmm.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

see if you can find one for a for a Dakota / Durango up until 2000. They would be close enough to work also. Probably a better chance of finding one of those.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
karnsem2

Thanks, I'm searching if I can get somethig close enough as Tizzy1 suggested.Just as he said ,the heater core package came without the tube seal,it looked ancient,the dealer said that's because its brass so it appears old but its new.

I subscribe to All Data Diy but the information to reassembly the heater core inside the box is not very detailed for me.I was trying to post pictures of heater core inside the box to get your opinion on it, but I'm having difficulty to insert pictures from my document into this post.How is it done? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

I'd ask Trophyslayer, he's pretty good at that. I'd like to help with some pic's but that's too old for my computor based manuals.

Quick Reply: evaporator and heater cover