Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Headlights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010 | 06:43 PM
turdfergueson2
|
Default Headlights not working.

Hi guys,

New guy here. I currently have an issue with my 92 Caravan. The headlights do not work. When I hit the switch to turn them on, the interior lights come on, but not the headlights. Also the brights do not work either. I tried changing the bulb and that did not work either. I even tried the fuse which did not fix the issue.

I assume it's a relay of some sort that went bad, but I do not know where to find it. The Haynes guide was not much help either. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-18-2010 | 07:41 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

Theres a long black cover between battery and drivers side fender, It should be marked as power distribution center or fuse center (something like that)
POP off the cover and on the backside is stamped what everything under there is.

look for headlight relay you'll also see the left and right headlamp fusesthere as well check them to see if they r burned.

to verify the relays condition simply swap one of the same size into the questionable ones slot. there is plenty of em there to swap with.

Hope this helps it must be awfully dark at night LMAO

Old 08-18-2010 | 07:51 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

I just looked at wiring diagram and I see a lowbeam relay with a 30amp circuit breaker. could just be a faulty switch??

Last edited by hemi4spd; 08-18-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 11:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

Yep, I don't believe the '92 had a PDC. I would check the headlamp switch and the connector for overheating.

Old 08-19-2010 | 11:23 AM
turdfergueson2
|

Thanks for the help guys. I"ll look into these suggestions. I also forgot to mention that when I turn the lights on and check the thing the bulbs plug into, I get 12 volts there. Doing that made me question the bulbs which changing did not help.

Old 08-19-2010 | 12:03 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

You have power at the Bulbs plug?? sounds like maybe youve lost the ground.

Does the 12v u have at the plug tun on and off with the switch?
If you have 12v there sounds like it just needs a path back to ground

Old 08-19-2010 | 01:01 PM
turdfergueson2
|

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
You have power at the Bulbs plug?? sounds like maybe youve lost the ground.

Does the 12v u have at the plug tun on and off with the switch?
If you have 12v there sounds like it just needs a path back to ground
Yes with the switch on I get 12 volts at the plug. We only tested the driver's side though.

Old 08-19-2010 | 01:23 PM
sapporo
Banned

from what I'm trying to decipher, you get 12v at the bulb? both high and low beam? if you hold the dimmer back (flash to pass aka optical horn) both high and low beams will have power. does the high beam indicator illuminate when doing this?

you do know how electricity works right? power, load, ground, you have power, assume you verified that bulbs are indeed good? (check them in a known good vehicle or ohm them for continuity). then check grounds.

Old 08-19-2010 | 02:56 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

wiring diagram shows those head lights have independant grounds. therefore you'd think one would work. cant see both grounds messing up at same time, espescially since they r on opposite sides of the van.

PM me an ill hook you up with a wiring diagram if u dont have already.

off to work now but ill check this when i get home

GL

Last edited by hemi4spd; 08-19-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2010 | 03:01 PM
sapporo
Banned

yep your right, man's got power 2 ground 2 good bulbs and no lights, must be magic keeping it from working. cuz if you got power, load, ground you got everything in the equation to make a light work.

and YOU should post the wiring diagrams so we can all see the circuitry to help the man out. why just PM and keep it a secret?

Quick Reply: Headlights not working.