Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Can't Start -- CLICKING Noises & Flashing Symbols

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
quantass
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can't Start -- CLICKING Noises & Flashing Symbols

My 2002 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3, V6, FWD, Automatic) is giving me an issue in starting.

When i go to start the vehicle the dashboard displays like normal but there is an endless CLICK-CLICK-CLICK. I can see all the dashboard symbols flashing ON-OFF-ON and the needle gauges trying to move. After a few seconds the needle gauges shoot up to the maximum. I then turn off the vehicle and try again but the same issue occurs; this nasty click click click sound and the dash symbols flashing on-off very quickly.

I opened the hood and tried to listen for where the clicks were coming from (in the vicinity of the arrows):

For the LEFT ARROW, the click sound appears to be coming from the engine area. I cant pinpoint exactly where. And the RIGHT ARROW it is definitely coming from the IPM FUSE & RELAY CENTER box.

I've checked the DTC trouble codes by cycling the ignition key OFF-ON. It reports: P1684, Done. No issues, of course.

The car appears to have a good battery as i am able to turn on the lights, the dash symbols do appear, and listen to the CD player.

This is the SECOND TIME this has occurred. The first time the car just magically came back to life. Yesterday i performed a tie-rod end change on the right side. I pulled the car out of the garage, adjusted the steering wheel to full left, turned the vehicle off, then checked the tie rod end, then went back to start the car. The CLICK problem occurred and now the car cant start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad ground wire seems to happen at the battery or under the pdc from all the reports I can find

Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have you try to pull codes? try getting codes and post. You could also have a bad ground as sapporo had said.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:32 AM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by quantass
\

I've checked the DTC trouble codes by cycling the ignition key OFF-ON. It reports: P1684, Done. No issues, of course.

looks like they already did what you told them?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Teldin

I came to post a problem, but I see you are having the exact same issue as me. Last night I went to turn the van on (2000 V6 FWD) and there was a very fast random clicking coming from under the dash and the instrument lights and gauges started freaking out. I pulled the relay that was clicking and replaced it with an adjacent one but it did the thing. It was even doing it with the key out! The relay had the numbers 30, 86, 87,89 (iirc) stamped by the pins. The van was driving fine earlier that day and its never happened before.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
sapporo
Banned

2000 vans have bad connection of the small ground wire at the negative terminal. it attaches to the clamp bolt and frequently causes that clickity noise

Old 09-26-2010, 08:56 AM
sapporo
Banned

did you ever resolve this issue? you should close out one question or update, before posting another.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default New Battery !!!!!!!!

Hey Dude ! Get a new battery an ride !! my thoughts Duane

Quick Reply: Can't Start -- CLICKING Noises & Flashing Symbols