Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A604 Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
brewed4you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A604 Problem

Hi everyone, I have an A604 with a 3.3 engine, its in a dynasty not a caravan but I posted here because they seem to be mostly the same.
Edit: It's a 1990 btw, 192 000k

It had a small amount of dexron and some lucas additive in it for a while and it started going into limp mode whenever it shifted into 4th gear. I had a flush done with the correct fluid which mostly fixed the problem.
It still goes into limp mode if I hover around 50kph which is exactly where it shifts into 4th, it also does the same thing if I accelerate too hard past 50 and it shifts into 4th later than normal, or if I let the car coast into 4th gear. If I accelerate gently into 4th it seems like it tries to shift 2 or 3 times before it actually gets into gear properly, but it does work.
The up-shift between 2nd and 3rd also hestitates and slips for a couple of seconds before it actually shifts into gear.
I have also been experiencing some slipping in first, which I am assuming is the clutch for that gear.

Could the shifting problem be due to a gunked up solenoid pack from using the wrong fluid and the additive? I am not so worried about the slipping in first as it has only really happened once or twice but I would like to fix the shifting problems if I can.
I can easily change the solenoid pack, I just don't want to drop 300 bucks on a new one until I am fairly sure that's the problem.
I am also considering a rebuild kit for the clutches, would that fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention is when doing highway speeds (100k) the car slows down quite rapidly if I take my foot off the gas. It's almost like it's missing the overdrive gear but I don't think it is cause driving with overdrive off, the engine braking effect becomes noticable at around 50, when the overdrive gear would normally kick in.

Last edited by brewed4you; 10-14-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The fluid would give you a shudder not slipping. From what you have been saying,the transmission maybe going into limp in. How is the fluid condition? And by the way,they are the same transmission.What i need to know,is there any transmission codes and what is the CVI on the OD clutch pack. If its 150 or more,thats not good.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
brewed4you

I already changed the fluid, it was causing a shudder before I flushed it though.
The fluid was in good shape because it was flushed maybe a month ago, now it is starting to burn because of the slipping clutch which I just noticed a few days ago.
I am trying to find someone with a code reader, I won`t take it to Dodge because they want $125 to do it, which is bull****, and I`m 19 with a $10 an hour job...
How would I check the CVI? Is there a cheap way to do this myself?

And I think, it's the UD clutch since it only seems to slip through gears 1 and 2. I'm no expert on this though.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

You need a scanner to ck the CVI's. Do you know anyone that works at the dealer, that can ck the tcm codes for you.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
brewed4you

Unfortunately I don't. However, my dad said he would help me out with getting the codes read if I could find a decent quote around town.
Any good scanning tool should be able to read the tcm codes and the cvi's, right?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
brewed4you

Okay, I just got the codes and CVI's checked.

It's throwing a code 46, which is a 3-4 shift abort, and a code 39 which is gear ratio error. Keep in mind it only does this shift abort if I either coast into 4th or accel hard into 4th.

CVI's are 64 for the LR, 168 for the OD which is obviously screwed, 49 for the 2-4, and 44 for the UD.
It appeared to slip in first but the guy I took it to said it was probably just in limp mode and I didn't notice.

Edit: I just read that this is due either to a broken overdrive pressure plate, or a burned up OD clutch. So an overhaul should fix this right?
Would you be able to give me a list of tools that are absolutely essential for overhauling this transmission?

Last edited by brewed4you; 10-18-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats right. That is why i was asking for the CVI reading. Overdrive is way to high. So you found the problem, good job.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 AM
brewed4you

You definitely know your stuff man, thanks.

I have a manual that details how to rebuild the transmission but I can't find a good list of what tools I will need. I have access to a full set of wrenches and sockets, as well as a torque wrench. What other tools will I need to pull off an overhaul?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'll post the tool list soon.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Front pump puller c-3752