Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Dodge Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Mrs.ManWithTheVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 Dodge Caravan

Umm ... I'm *NEW* to this forum. I have a question that I need help with. We were told by an oil change service man that the camshaft is leaking alot of oil. We called up our friend who is a mechanic and he is currently helping fix that camshaft leak. But one of his tools got stuck in a small pin hole in the camshaft as he was trying to move it and now he's unable to get the tool out. He's been working for 2-3 days now trying to get that tool out but it just isn't coming out. It's delaying him from fixing the camshaft leak. I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else and/or they knew of any way to remove his tool without causing any further damage. Your replies will be greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL>>WTH??? He needs to be careful where he sticks his tool. For your sake I hope he doesn't put a gouge in your camshaft or your oil leak will be permanent.

Last edited by TNtech; 11-09-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The camshaft seal is this on a 3.0L engine? If this right, is it the front or the rear of the cylinder head?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Mrs.ManWithTheVan

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
The camshaft seal is this on a 3.0L engine? If this right, is it the front or the rear of the cylinder head?
It's a 2.4 L and I'm not exactly sure if it's front or rear. I'll ask my husband later.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Mrs.ManWithTheVan
Angry

Originally Posted by TNtech
LOL>>WTH??? He needs to be careful where he sticks his tool. For your sake I hope he doesn't put a gouge in your camshaft or your oil leak will be permanent.
God I hope not. He's charging us alot as is as he keeps coming back day after day just to attempt to get that tool outta the pin hole. I'm gonna be very mad if he says I'm gonna have to get you a *NEW* camshaft cuz I can't remove that tool and charge us more. It was his fault so he should pay for a *NEW* camshaft if it comes down to that.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

To replace the camshaft seals on the 2.4 engine the camshaft caps need to come off and loosen the rest of the camshaft caps.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs.ManWithTheVan
God I hope not. He's charging us alot as is as he keeps coming back day after day just to attempt to get that tool outta the pin hole. I'm gonna be very mad if he says I'm gonna have to get you a *NEW* camshaft cuz I can't remove that tool and charge us more. It was his fault so he should pay for a *NEW* camshaft if it comes down to that.
Yeah MT is right, but in addition the timing belt cam gears and the timing covers have to come off. It's not a small job. I was thinking 3.0L myself but a 2.4L is a little more involved. The TOOL I bet he is talking about is a seal pick....not a good idea.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Mrs.ManWithTheVan

Well, I'm glad the car got fixed ... Sorta. The Check Engine Light remains on and the mechanic says he's gonna have to take the van to his brothers to figure out why the engine light is on which will cost extra. (T_T) I was wondering since the camshaft was leaking alot of oil could it be possible that some sensitive electrical component got gooped up in oil causing the Engine Light to come on ?? How can I check that myself ??

Old 11-14-2010, 11:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The key may have been turn on with a sensor unplug. That maybe why the lite is on? Disconnect the battery for 30 second and then put the cable back on. Start the engine and see if the lite goes off.

Last edited by master tech; 11-14-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: adding to story
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Mrs.ManWithTheVan

Originally Posted by master tech
The key may have been turn on with a sensor unplug. That maybe why the lite is on? Disconnect the battery for 30 second and then put the cable back on. Start the engine and see if the lite goes off.
I was figuring that the check engine light just needed to be reset after all the work done on the engine. I sorta know a thing or two about mechanics more than the average female that is. My Dad and Brother always fixed cars growing up and I used to help hand tools so I learned a few things from them along the way. I'll keep you posted whether that fixed the check engine light.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Caravan