Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Fuel starvation problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:17 PM
kilogolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel starvation problem

I've got a '95 LE with the 3.3 and in the last few months noticed that when the gas tank drops to a little more than 1/4 full, the van starts bucking and loosing power to the point that I have to pull over because I can't maintain speed, yet the van doesn't fully stall out. When this begin's to happen, no amount of throttle seems to make any differance. If I add just a few gallons of gas at that point, it runs fine. In fact it ALWAYS runs fine, good pickup, no hesitation, no problems at all until the fuel drops down the 1/4 full point.

I use only quality gasoline, replaced the fuel filter and use Chevron Techron about once every two months. None of this has fixed the problem. Also, the Check Engine light, or any lights for that matter, come on. Guages all look normal. The trip computer usually shows about 75 miles worth of gas left and the mileage I was getting, about 275 per tank, seems to concur with my odometer reading.

Any idea or ideas as to what the problem might be?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like an obstruction in the tank or perhaps the hose from the pump itself to the metal tube the comes out of the tank has a leak inside the tank. I would just keep in at 1/2 tank or higher unless you want to drop the tank and inspect the pump assembly.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:06 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You may need to remove the fuel tank. The early vans had a problem with the baffle inside the tanks, and also had problems the pick up tube inside the tank too.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Jetmeck2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel pump. Been there. Same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Fuel starvation problem