Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Caravan Phantom Locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015 | 12:09 AM
dodgegc10
Default Phantom Locks

I'm having the same trouble. The GC locks all the time even right after I unlock it. It doesn't matter were we are or it the car has been setting or driving. Any advise would be great.

Old 10-20-2015 | 12:40 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Have you had the vehicle scan for codes in the door modules? Because a scanner would give more information, like which door or circuit is causing all the problems.

Old 12-29-2015 | 04:11 PM
Geos00
Default Problem solved...at least for me...

I have a 2011 GC that had the same phantom locks issue but also would not lock or unlock from the driver side. When I took it to the dealer for the code, it came back with B1803 - Driver door lock circuit stuck. I pulled the switch module out of the door (very easy with a flat head screwdriver), disassembled it, cleaned a very corroded magnetic contact for the door lock, and reassembled it. Door lock works again, and no more phantom locking. Will probably fix phantom windows too. Will post pics in the next reply.

Old 12-29-2015 | 04:18 PM
Geos00

Be careful not to just flip the whole thing over at this point as the buttons are loose underneath.

The contact I cleaned is the far right one at the bottom. Be sure to also gently clean the pad as well or else it will just get corroded again. Be sure to gently clean all this using rubbing alcohol. I also had to use a fine scraper and magnifying lense because of especially tough corrosion. All in all the whole thing too me about 30 minutes to complete.

Old 08-07-2016 | 04:48 PM
Mike from Trenton ON
Default My solution to phantom FOB/ Van electrical issues

Same issue with 2010 Caravan 180,000km. Identical symptoms (doors locking/unlocking – lights turning on – flashers turning on; even when the car was parked). Here is what I found for the problems I was encountering - after a week of hit and miss testing... techs should have this as a checklist item to help diagnose the problem:
1. Noticed that the problems occurred haphazardly but only when a FOB was in proximity to the vehicle (FOB working range)
2. Above issues only occurred with my FOB and not with wife's FOB.
3. Opened my FOB and removed the battery. Our Van FOB only has the PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions, but on opening the FOB - there are electronics for 4 additional functions.
4. The active PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions in my FOB have little floating pads that I assume assist in selecting the FOB function when the selected FOB symbol is pressed (total of three small floating pads - one for each function).
5. Pads were not aligned with FOB functions but were slipping around the lower portion of the FOB over the "inactive" electronic circuits. I assume that random touches/jostles activated these functions... lights coming on, widows opening and closing, doors locking/unlocking etc.
6. I realigned the pads as best I could... if they move again I will use a little glue to fix them in place. No problems now... My FOB is working properly and there are no more phantom van electrical issues
7. More importantly… no dollars spent. Hope this helps to either solve the problem or eliminates this possibility as you search other avenues

Mike from Trenton Ontario

Old 05-12-2024 | 07:46 PM
slhelper
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike from Trenton ON
Same issue with 2010 Caravan 180,000km. Identical symptoms (doors locking/unlocking – lights turning on – flashers turning on; even when the car was parked). Here is what I found for the problems I was encountering - after a week of hit and miss testing... techs should have this as a checklist item to help diagnose the problem:
1. Noticed that the problems occurred haphazardly but only when a FOB was in proximity to the vehicle (FOB working range)
2. Above issues only occurred with my FOB and not with wife's FOB.
3. Opened my FOB and removed the battery. Our Van FOB only has the PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions, but on opening the FOB - there are electronics for 4 additional functions.
4. The active PANIC-UNLOCK-LOCK functions in my FOB have little floating pads that I assume assist in selecting the FOB function when the selected FOB symbol is pressed (total of three small floating pads - one for each function).
5. Pads were not aligned with FOB functions but were slipping around the lower portion of the FOB over the "inactive" electronic circuits. I assume that random touches/jostles activated these functions... lights coming on, widows opening and closing, doors locking/unlocking etc.
6. I realigned the pads as best I could... if they move again I will use a little glue to fix them in place. No problems now... My FOB is working properly and there are no more phantom van electrical issues
7. More importantly… no dollars spent. Hope this helps to either solve the problem or eliminates this possibility as you search other avenues

Mike from Trenton Ontario
I have a 2010 Dodge Caravan. Started having phantom door locking this week. I determined the likely culprit to be the one key fob. With FOB nearby, would push unlock on FOB, then van automatically locks itself again.Take the key fob apart, remove the PCB. The discs ‘stick’ to the button on the PCB. Remove and clean the discs, then clean the bullseye ring on the PCB with rubbing alcohol and QTip. The discs should mount concave up; think of it as dome over the bullseye center circle. Reassemble. The discs are concave such than when the fob button is pushed, the concave 'dome' is pushed down contacting the center 'bullseye' contact. The disc is a 'springy' metal that resets its shape when you let go the button.

Quick Reply: 2010 Caravan Phantom Locks