Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 GC Dash/Stereo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM
RedWing68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GC Dash/Stereo Issue

Help me out here folks.

When using my factory Dodge stereo system with a cassette adapter to listen to my MP3 player, I lost the left channel of music. This only occurred when using the cassette adapter, not the radio or the CD player.

I then replaced the stereo with a quality system from Sony that was purchased from Crutchfield (love their service). I also purchased the proper wiring harness, antenna adapter, and mounting kit. This system had a built in auxiliary connection for my MP3 player. After about 2-3 songs, same result, I have lost the left channel when using the MP3 player but not the radio.

Also, I have lost the ability to change my climate settings. I can adjust the fan speed for both front and rear. However, when I slide the temp control or change the position for the controls (defrost, vent, etc.), no luck.

And for the kicker to all of this. I also once owned a 2000 Grand Caravan that exhibited the same climate control issues after replacing the stereo in that vehicle as well.

What Gives????? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

This the close's i can come. or maybe it the MP3 player?
Search Result
Vehicle Issue No sound when using satellite radio from the left or right speakers.;The radio will play both channels on AM/FM. Satellite radio can be Factory or MOPAR installed.
System or Component No Sound;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Satellite Radio;Right,Left;Yes - Continuously
Recommendation Swap the satellite audio wires at the satellite receiver and see if the Right/left channel of the satellite receiver will play the right/left speaker. If the audio still will not play you need to check the satellite audio wiring harness for short or pinched wires. Left audio input to the radio is on pin 6 at the 10 way, right audio input is pin 1 at the 10 way, common audio ground is pin 2 at the 10 way.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:23 AM
RedWing68

I know it is not the MP3 player as I have tried 2 differnt ones with the same result.

In regards to the satellite radio, yes my vehicle did come with the Sirius system. When I disconnected my old stereo, I unplugged 2 different connectors from the factory stereo, one large and one small connector (I don't recall the exact pin count on each).

When I installed the new stereo, only the larger connector was needed, so just left the smaller one in the dash.

So you feel the problem may lie in the satellite connector? How would this affect my climate controls?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
sapporo
Banned

I've seen this problem A LOT when portable cd players came out the problem usually lies in the head of the cassette unit. they really don't do all that great connecting to the adapter. sometimes when you wiggle the adapter in the cassette slot it'll start working properly.

Just buy an aftermarket stereo with inputs and all your problems will disappear

Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
RedWing68

If you read my post, you will see that I did install a quality aftermarket system with the same result when using the MP3 plyer through the front auxiliary port on the system.

Any thoughts on the climate control issue???

Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
sapporo
Banned

how about the adapter being used?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The climate control just happen the same time you are this problem with the speakers. I haven't seen this problem.The place you brought the radio, i would check with them and ask if they have seen this problem.On the climate control, remove the radio and see if you have a pinched wire.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM
RedWing68

I have checked for any pinched or damaged wires. Nothing there. Can the heater control cause the problems I am having? Again, I can adjust the fan speed and adjust the rear climate control, also the rear defrost and wiper both respond. However, it seems to be stuck on partial Defrost and partial floor with temp on hot and won't change. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: 2005 GC Dash/Stereo Issue