Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Caravan - Strange ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
JQ5000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Caravan - Strange ignition problem

I am having a problem with a 99 caravan where, if you insert the key and turn it, sometimes it will not start unless you force the key to the side, like down or up or back while turning it.

Each time, if it doesn't work, you have to turn it back to the off position and try it again. (you cant just turn it and jockey it around.) The solenoid does click when it is turned. I have tried replacing the lock cylinder which didn't work, so I swapped the original back in. Then I tried the actual ignition switch on the opposite side and it still does it. So I am thinking it is the mechanism in between the two. There is another switch in there that connects to teh shifter. Is that the neutral safety switch? What is that part called, and is it expensive/difficult to replace? Moving the shifter never seems to help, including putting it in neutral. Please help, it is my gf van and we need 2 vehicles for work! Thanks.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I'm going to guess the lock cylinder is worn out and should replaced.You can get a new one from the dealer. Then you can have them put it together for you or a locksmith.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
JQ5000

C'mon man, I said I replaced the lock cylinder already. Please read my whole post. What I am wondering is if I am barking up the wrong tree. It seems like it makes a difference when I side-load the key, but the solenoid or coil or whatever clicks every time, and sometimes when it doesn't start, it starts to turn and stops. So I am wondering if maybe it is actually just the starter motor or the solenoid that is going out and it is just concidence about the side loading.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Have you tried doing the basic first? State of charge on the battery and checking power and ground at the starter? The starter bendex (solenoid) could have a dead spot. And your safety neutral is called TRS sensor.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:29 PM
JQ5000

Ya, sorry I didn't mention I had the battery tested and I cleaned the terminals. I was wondering if it could be the solenoid itself as well. I don't suppose there is a way to open the solenoid and clean potentially corroded contacts? Also, if there is an issue with the starter, are there bearings or brushes that can just be replaced instead of replacing the whole starter?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

No. Need to replace the starter if that is the problem.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:43 PM
amercier4

I have a very similar problem on my daughter's 99 Grand Caravan, although without the key issue. I had it narrowed down to a starter/solenoid problem. Any ideas on a further test of these components to confirm if they are indeed faulty? How difficult is the starter/solenoid to change out?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The starter is no that hard to replace, Just be sure the spacer plate is lined up or the it will hit the flex plate.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can usually have starters rebuilt for about 60dollars, check the yellowpages for an autoelectric guy and make a new friend

Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM
JQ5000

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Just wanted to let eveyone know was the starter. Man its nice to not have to wonder if your van is going to start in-40deg weather! Amercier, I would say to narrow down between starter and solenoid, if there is not clicking sound when you turn the key the problem is the solenoid probably. If it clicks but doesn't turn over, turns over weak, or intermittent, then it is the starter. Just my hack opinion.

Quick Reply: 99 Caravan - Strange ignition problem