Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan 3.3 sputter

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Codes P1684...P0302. I believe the 1st one means that the batter was disconnected, the 2nd: #2 cylinder miss fire. Plugs and wires should be fine...need someone that knows 3.3s on this one. I'm hoping somebody will come along and save the day!

I know I've been that "somebody" in the past, but I've honestly never worked on a 3.3 (if this was an LA V8...then I would be right at home)

Last edited by Jon Mopar; 02-10-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Do a compression test on the number 2 cylinder and you may need to remove the valve cover too. This way you can inspect the rocker arms/shaft.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

compression is fine (it was tested just a couple of weeks prior to this sudden problem), plugs are new, wires are newer....doesn't seem to be getting any fuel??

code P0302

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you were not getting fuel to the cylinder, you should have had a injector code.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon Mopar
compression is fine (it was tested just a couple of weeks prior to this sudden problem), plugs are new, wires are newer....doesn't seem to be getting any fuel??

code P0302

Um, why would you have done a compression test before you had a problem? Why would you negate the suggestion of doing a test now that you have a problem? Basically you're telling the Master that his suggestion of doing this test is useless.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

I forget to say what I did a few days ago. Its called CRS, Not to worry. I throw questions out there and see what comes back. If the member already did the compression test, that okay. But my question would be what was the reading? Oh one of those i forgot, There are 3 types of compression test. Did you do just one of them or all of them. 1st is dry, 2nd running and 3rd wet.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it odd that the guy did a compression test before this problem came up and now that he has the problem and a Master suggests doing a compression test (one of the most common basic simplest diagnostic test) the OP basicly poo-poo's the thought that he should do a test that was done before the issue arose. I suppose if you had problems breathing, you'd refuse to have a blood pressure test because you just had it done a couple weeks earlier.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
Um, why would you have done a compression test before you had a problem? Why would you negate the suggestion of doing a test now that you have a problem? Basically you're telling the Master that his suggestion of doing this test is useless.
I did a compression test a few weeks earlier because I was just having a routine thorough check up. I didn't do another because I figured at only 15kms (9-ish miles?) driven since then, nothing changed. I bring it to the shop every winter, "everything was A1". I could do another compression check though I guess???

Forgive me for dismissing some of the diagnostic processes....when I briefly worked as a service writer at a Chrysler dealer, we would go through the same process, and it kind of frustrated me. RARELY does a plug or a wire randomly go bad on a low mileage, perfect running engine. Valves can have problems, but it's not what I would call common (and it would smoke with a bad valve, right??). 95% of the time, the customer is left with a bill for several things, and still has a problem. I was looking more towards a coil problem or something similar??

when you say an injector code, it would come up in addition to my #2 misfire code?? because I'm not getting any other codes. I really appreciate the help guys, don't get me wrong.

Last edited by Jon Mopar; 02-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Mopar those are Very valid and respectful responses. I guess it should have been asked to you to develop your rational before casting some sort of judgement upon you. Were all in this together, Help one anothers. I sure do need help from the thoughts others have given me in the past. Way to go Dodge Forum.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Jon Mopar
Rookie

side note: In case I haven't said it before....I love you guys! thanks for any & all advice

Last edited by Jon Mopar; 02-15-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan 3.3 sputter