Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan, won't crank, initially, every morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan, won't crank, initially, every morning

If this problem has been answered elsewhere in this forum, my apologies. I looked but couldn't find it. Just provide me with the correct link and I will go away.

My 2001 Dodge Caravan (3.3 V6, automatic) is becoming increasingly difficult to start every morning and, recently, has problems after siting idle into the evening.

When I turn the ignition key to the "run" position, the dash board lights and gauges react normally, the fan turns on, the radio is on. However, when I turn to the "start" position, I get nothing from the starter, no clicking, nothing.

I do hear a slight hum: fuel pump? Stuck relay?

After several attempts to start the car -- I'm up to three or four times, now -- the starter begins to react. Typically, the starter activates on the next attempt.

If I let the car warm up for about 15-20 minutes, the problem does not repeat itself for the entire day. I can start and stop and then start the car again with confidence. So far. Except, as noted previously, if it sits idle for most of the day and into the evening.

Otherwise, this van runs like a top and has no other problems, except for an alternator bearing that's starting to go. It does not stall or lose power. The dashboard instruments do not behave erratically.

This morning, while paying close attention to how it started, I activated a code check. I know this because the odometer displayed "d.o.n.e" However, I did this while fruitlessly turning the key to the "start" position, not to "run," which is what's called for when doing such a check.

This problem has been developing over several months.
It may be cold related. It's winter and I live in New England.

The dealer was unable to replicate this problem -- naturally -- but wanted to replace my starter. I am reluctant since the starter otherwise works dependably. I don't mind the expense, but question if it's needed. The web is filled with horror stories of owners with the same problem lamenting their wasted investment in starters, coils and batteries.

Any help narrowing down the potential causes of this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Swap the starter relay with another one like ...maybe the horn. See how it goes.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a new starter, the contacts are worn out in the solenoid.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
Get a new starter, the contacts are worn out in the solenoid.
I'll second that. Sounds like the typical worn solenoid contact symptoms common to just about every car out there. First make sure all battery and starter connections are clean and tight.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not at all disagreeing about worn contacts in the starter but several years ago with our 2001, I had similar issues with our 2001. On a hunch, I shot Lock Ease into the ignition switch and that wound up being the last time that ever happened.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The down side of internet diagnostics is 10 people can have 10 different ideas all leading from the same problem

Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Default Trying the starter relay

Funny that the starter relay was the first suggestion. I just figured out where it is today. Went ahead and invested in a new one: $15 down. Push come to shove, I can just put it into the spot my van has for a spare one, which is currently empty.

I'll find out for sure if that made any difference when I try cold starting it in the morning. I'll post the results here.

It may indeed be the solenoid, it's just that I did have that problem with a different vehicle years ago and this doesn't seem the same.

I did poke a hole in my observation that it only happens when the car has sat idle for a long time. I let the car warm up, then started it several times in succession. After a handful of starts, I was back to it not starting, as if it had been sitting all night.

However, I just went outside and tried to replicate that with the new starter relay and the car started every time without a problem.

So, we will see.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question. Forums like these have often proved very valuable to me because of people willing to share their knowledge.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Default Fingers crossed ...

Van started right up this morning, for the first time in months. Could be my hypersensitivity, but it did seem to hesitate a fraction when I first turned the key. Below-freezing night might have something to do with that. In any case, it now starts every time. So far.

I'm headed north to Maine today. So, we'll see how it does on a road trip. Taking a few tools, just in case ...

Thank you, TNtech, for your suggestion, it has definitely improved things and may very well have solved the problem. If I could e-mail you a beer, I would happily do so.

As to the Lock Ease, I'm going to go ahead and find some to squirt in there. Can't hurt and I did suspect the ignition switch, among other things. For example, the van going into a code check when I repeatedly turned the key to the "start" position made me question if the ignition switch was faulty.

As to the starter, I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't need one.

I'll post back in about a week to update.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Htro Mada
Amateur
Default It starts all the time now!

OK, I was waiting to make sure it really was fixed, and then I forgot. Well, I tried the starter relay and that seemed to work for a week. I tried blowing graphite into the ignition and that didn't work. So, I tried a starter and -- after suffering the pain of a thousand tiny cuts to my hands -- I got the new starter in and I have had no problems since then. So, the dealer was right, after all, naturally. So were two wise posters to this thread. I did save a few hundred dollars and now I know what a starter relay is so, I figure, I came out ahead. Thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply to my question, I greatly appreciate the help.

Now I have to replace the alternator and the oil light has started to come on. All I ask is 200,000 miles, that's all I ask ... (150,000 and counting, with my fingers crossed)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan, won't crank, initially, every morning