Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Clock Spring Replacement Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Pecke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock Spring Replacement Procedure

Is there a step by step replacement procedure for replacing the clock spring on a 2001 Grand caravan?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REMOVAL
  1. Position steering wheel and front wheels straight ahead.
  2. Release hood latch and open hood. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  3. Remove driver airbag from steering wheel.
  4. Disconnect wire connectors from back of driver airbag.
  5. Disconnect the 2–way connector from remote radio control harness and the 4-way connector from the speed control/horn harness.
  6. Remove steering wheel.
  7. Remove steering column shrouds.
  8. Disconnect 4-way and 6-way connectors between the clock spring and the instrument panel wiring harness.
  9. Remove clock spring from housing assembly by removing the two retaining screws retaining the clock spring.
INSTALLATION
  1. Position the clock spring into the housing. Install the two retaining screws to clock spring.
  2. Connect the 4-way and 6-way harness between the clock spring and the instrument panel.
  3. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering, Column, Steering Wheel, Installation.
  4. Connect the harness connector to the driver airbag.
  5. Connect the remote radio control harness and the speed control/horn harness.
  6. Install the driver airbag into the steering wheel.
  7. Install the steering column upper and lower shrouds. WARNING: DO NOT CONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE. REFER TO ELECTRICAL, RESTRAINTS, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AIRBAG SYSTEM FIRST.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AIRBAG SYSTEM
  1. Connect a DRB lll® scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC), located at left side of the steering column and at the lower edge of the lower instrument panel.
  2. Turn the ignition key to ON position. Exit vehicle with scan tool. Use the latest version of the proper cartridge.
  3. After checking that no one is inside the vehicle, connect the battery negative terminal.
  4. Using the DRB lll® scan tool, read and record active diagnostic code data. <A name="Step 5">
  5. Read and record any stored diagnostic codes.
  6. Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual if any diagnostic codes are found in Step 4 or Step 5.
  7. Erase stored diagnostic codes if there are no active diagnostic codes. If problems remain, diagnostic codes will not erase. Refer to the Proper Body Diagnostic Procedures Manual to diagnose the problem. If airbag warning lamp either fails to light, or goes on and stays on, there is a system malfunction. Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual to diagnose the problem.</B>

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Pecke
Default airbag removal

do you remove the screws in the back of the steering wheel to get the air bag romved?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Yep, a 10mm on each side of the wheel (2 total). Then you need a 21mm and a puller to get the steering wheel off.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Pecke
Default Replaced Clock Spring - Same problem

I replaced the Clock Spring, and I have the same issue. the light is still on. I only have an ADBII scanner. Do I need an OBDIII to reset the code? Is there anothe way to reset, or should I look elsewhere?
Thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

do you have an original code or any code? The '01 also had issues with the seat belt pretensioners. It's a charge on the seat belt buckle that pulls the seatbelt tighter when the airbag deploys. You can reach under the inner seat shield and wiggle the harness. If the lamp goes off, that is your issue. there is a wiring harness overlay available to correct the connection issue.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Pecke
Default seatbelt pretensioner

Thanks for your reply. I'll check that. Do you know if this was a recall item? I was looking in the wrong place. I checked the seatbelt winding mechanism between the doors and saw no electerical connection to it. What is the best way to locate the sensors in the bumper?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

No, it wasn't a recall, just kind of an issue you run into now and then. The '01 model year didn't have front impact sensors, they added those to the system in '05. '01 had 3 common issues, clock spring, seat belt pretensioner connection issues and passenger airbag connection issues. Either of the last 2, if you wiggle the connection, the lamp will usually go out temporarily. At least you know what the issue is and can then go from there.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Pecke
Default Passenger air bag

What do you recommend for checking the passenger airbag?
Also, if my problem was the clockspring, doesn't the monitor mhave to be reset? Is there a way to do it without a tool?
Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Clock Spring Replacement Procedure