Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Grand Caravan in limp home

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Fastvan67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Grand Caravan in limp home

Hey guys,
I recently had my transmission rebuilt at a local trans shop. I picked up the van and drove it home. (20 miles) Shifted perfectly smooth. The following morning, I went to go to work and stopped at a gas station on my way. After filling up, I went to leave and the check engine light came on and it went right into second gear. (Limp home from what I understand)
I turned into autozone a couple blocks away and had them scan it. The codes they came up with were P0700 and P1787.
I read that the P1787 has something to do with overdrive pressure switch circuit. I called the transmission shop and they said bring it back but don't drive it. Must have it towed. The tow truck driver cost me $139 for 20 miles!
The shop owner said it will be another 2 weeks before he can look into it.
Is there anything I can do on my own? What exactly is the "overdrive pressure switch circuit and is that internal or external?

Van is 1998 Grand Caravan 3.3 with the 604 trans

Thanks

Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I don't know about anyone else, but I would demand to have the transmission looked at. After they had just repaired the transmission. The P1787 could be a problem inside the transmission. And if they can not honor their work, then I would call someone that would make sure they honor their work. Not 2 weeks later. But again thats me.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:23 AM
agent00kevin

Um yeah that should be at the top of their to do list since its something they did, its not like you are a new customer. You already paid; and they should be footing the tow bill too. The bill was incurred due to their faulty work. (most likely) I hope they are reputable, (doesnt sound like it so far) because a lot of shops will say it was something else, and try to charge you for another repair. You really shouldnt have to wait two weeks for them to even look at it either. Thats just ridiculous.

This is why I hate repair shops. Its either the dealership or I do it, nothing in between.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Fastvan67

Yea, I would rather the dealer too, but a friend referred me to this shop. He got his transmission done there for his Chevy van.
The dealer wanted $2100 to do it and the shop wanted $1700. Guess I saw $$$ signs. My bad.
I'm gone by there again this morning. Lets see what happens with a bit of b*tching.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Fastvan67

Hey guys.. I completely forgot about this thing. Updates on van..

I called the shop owner. He had someone checking into it that afternoon. He said it was an internal issue. 3 days later I picked up my van and a check for the towing bill. Great! On the road again..

Newest update.. 5 days out of warranty.. Problems arise. Again!
Erratic shifting. Sometimes stuck in limp home, sometimes shifting perfectly. Strange..
Got it scanned at AZ and codes are P0700, P0733 and P1787. Guy at the shop wants to build it again for another $1700. Not happening!
Took it to Cottman, he said I would probably have to replace my solenoid pack and the 2 speed sensors. Then do a filter replacement with a flush.
Went to Aamco, they said it needs to be replaced at a cost of $2100.
I noticed there is a little fluid around the base of the solenoid pack. Could this thing be leaking?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:31 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here's what I would do, Remember this is me. I would go buy a mopar reman transmission and have a local shop replace the trans, and flush the cooler. Warranty time to replace transmission is 3.8 hours and alldata time is 4.5, warranty on the reman trans is 3 years or 100k miles. If the transmission has a problem, then it goes to the dealer. If you are getting P0733, thats a gear ratio error in 3rd gear, thats not good.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Fastvan67

Thanks for your input Master.. I'm still chewing on the fact that I have already spent a small fortune on this thing. I'm wondering if it is worth another $2000+? Which by the way, I now seem to have a body module issue. Door locks jumping up and down, dash LED's flashing, wipers going on their own.. I read about a solder issue in the dash of some of these. I'll look into that first before the BCM.

Quick Reply: 1998 Grand Caravan in limp home