Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 DOdge Caravan Valve Stem leaking oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
foladar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
if within 2 yrs i dont think be that bad if you did spark plugs, wires and fuel filter. i think what previous said is to replace the pcv valve. a must with that much km/miles. now just start from basics. if you have more than one reliable mechanic get a different opinion. the last guy may of just got it up running but may not of fixed the problem. we need to resolve the issue. not expect a majic in a can to work. nothing out there does this. all can help a bit but never 100% fix. if seals leak they need replacement. how far you go is up to how much you want to spend. how much you can do yourself too. but to me i think you got to sit down and see for that km./milage what needs to be done as a maintanance + repairs and then calculate costs if it better off just buying something else. i think if engine aint too bad burning oil. good compression. good tranny and such. these minor stuff can be fixed for a reasonable cost and you have a vehicle you like.
The tranny was rebuilt 3-4 years ago, engine hasn't been fixed though (yet, knock on wood). We're just looking at getting another ~400-800 miles out of it (1-2 months) but not sure if it's going to, it hesitated twice more today. Is a pcv valve something reasonably priced in terms of a fix w/ labor? The only two mechanics we have here are Aamco and Pepboy, sadly. We use to go with Pepboy when they were Florida Tire, then Goodyear, but their prices are way up and their business is too, so harder to get in there. The Aamco mechanic said there wasn't much else that could be done, but this fix may or may not help, it may or may not last another month, but he'd try. The only 'reliable' mechanic I know of is retiring and is an hours drive, with the car acting this way, not the best idea out in the country.

edit: regarding doing some of it myself, the best I can do is change the oil and check my fluids, sadly

Old 05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Does the ck engine light come on? If it doesn't the hiccup or hesitation could be an o2 sensor or plugged EGR or EGR tube.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Does the ck engine light come on? If it doesn't the hiccup or hesitation could be an o2 sensor or plugged EGR or EGR tube.
The dash stopped working awhile back (another big reason for wanting to move on), but the check engine light was on. I think they fixed an o2 sensor last time this happened, so ~2 years ago on that part.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Have you check for any stored codes yet?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:47 PM
foladar
Amateur

Have you check for any stored codes yet?
Is that where they attach the device to the vehicle? I think he said something about too many codes, because they didn't clear them out last time.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thats correct.I would have clear the codes and see which ones,cause the light to come back on.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:17 PM
foladar
Amateur

Thats correct.I would have clear the codes and see which ones,cause the light to come back on.
We tried to see the codes at a place like Autozone, but it wouldn't work because the dash doesn't work (known problem I've read, common apparently) but not sure how much it would cost if we drag it back to the mechanic. We're gonna give it a good drive tomorrow since we have an appointment, so I guess we'll know better by then.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
foladar
Amateur

Looks like it made it a month or something. Car won't start at all anymore, tried giving it gas, once we let up on the gas, it dies. Not sure if it's related but sounds like it is.

Car starts, dies. Car starts, dies. If you give it gas, it'll stay on, but when you let up, it dies.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
foladar
Amateur

We tried it again today, same thing. If you rev it and give it gas, it'll stay running sort of, but once you let it up, it dies out. We saw some black stuff came out the exhaust, but not sure what that is.

Quick Reply: 96 DOdge Caravan Valve Stem leaking oil?