Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 DOdge Caravan Valve Stem leaking oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
foladar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge Caravan Valve Stem leaking oil, Stalling/Hesitation Issues

I took my car into the mechanic because it was stalling/hesitating, and he said the valve stem(s) were leaking oil, so he cleaned it up and replaced the filter. He suggested using something like Blue Devil or Rislone but I don't see a product that you'd pour into the oil stuff to help seal it?

I went into Adv. Auto Parts and checked out a "sister company" White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak but I was told this wouldn't stop leaks in the valve stem(s) .. is this correct? We're currently using 10w30 if that matters. What could help "hold off" having the oil build up again, assuming that was what caused the stalling/hesitating, we just got it back so we aren't 100% it's fixed yet.

Last edited by foladar; 05-22-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about replacing the valve stem seals?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so he started by pulling a valve cover??? this seems odd to me. i rould run some seafoam threw the gas and do plugs wires and fuel filter.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
How about replacing the valve stem seals?
He said it would cost too much considering the car's condition, it has like 200k miles on it. Just trying to "buy time" so we can get a new car.

Originally Posted by atthewmartin114
so he started by pulling a valve cover??? this seems odd to me. i rould run some seafoam threw the gas and do plugs wires and fuel filter.
I have no idea what he did to be honest, except he replaced the air filter and cleaned the injectors. This same thing happened approx 1.5 yrs ago, they replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. It seems to be running better after replacing the air filter/cleaning injectors, though. He said there was oil in the air filter and on the injectors.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok first off an engine will run with leaking seals (just puff blue smoke at start up)
an engine with leaking rings (will puff blue all the time)
you may not pass a puffer test but it should still run quite fine untill the plugs get soo deposited that it has a hard time sparking.

I'll bet your mechanic just cleaned your plugs lol

your hesitation/stumble was more likely fuel or spark related
oil on the filter would suggest crankcase pressure, PCV may be plugged or need a cleaning or theres blow-by at the rings

a compression test/leakdown test will tell you where its leaking and if its worth a rebuild and how severe a rebuild is needed.

there are oil additives that cause seals to swell in the attemp to stop a leak. there is no fixes in a bottle unfortunatley.

stem seals can be done with the head on so if they really are leaking its alot cheaper than new car payments just to have them done.

that is if the rest of the van warrants it (ie not a rust bucket)
this thing could run for another 200k depends on your attitude about it

Last edited by hemi4spd; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
ok first off an engine will run with leaking seals (just puff blue smoke at start up)
an engine with leaking rings (will puff blue all the time)
you may not pass a puffer test but it should still run quite fine untill the plugs get soo deposited that it has a hard time sparking.

I'll bet your mechanic just cleaned your plugs lol

your hesitation/stumble was more likely fuel or spark related
oil on the filter would suggest crankcase pressure, PCV may be plugged or need a cleaning or theres blow-by at the rings

a compression test/leakdown test will tell you where its leaking and if its worth a rebuild and how severe a rebuild is needed.

there are oil additives that cause seals to swell in the attemp to stop a leak. there is no fixes in a bottle unfortunatley.

stem seals can be done with the head on so if they really are leaking its alot cheaper than new car payments just to have them done.

that is if the rest of the van warrants it (ie not a rust bucket)
this thing could run for another 200k depends on your attitude about it
I was just repeating what I was told, I'm not too familiar with cars unfortunately. It isn't puffing blue smoke, at start or during drive, to my knowledge though. It does puff out normal? smoke which has been occurring for a while, I forget what they said was the issue with that but if I recall it was ~$700.

It'd been stalling when coming to a stop just recently, but it actually stalled while driving today. It didn't hesitate or stall on the way home today when it's done it to and from every day last week (starting say, Tues). I'm hoping the cleaning part "fixed" what can be, and perhaps it can last long enough so we can pick up a used car, we definitely aren't going the payments route, just something that runs.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have a 3.0 or a 3.3 engine? The stalling could be a dirty throttle body or a bad AIS motor. Could also be a plug EGR tube ( with that high mileage). Are using or loosing oil?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
foladar
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Do you have a 3.0 or a 3.3 engine? The stalling could be a dirty throttle body or a bad AIS motor. Could also be a plug EGR tube ( with that high mileage). Are using or loosing oil?
There's an oil leak, there's been an oil leak for quite some time, though it isn't "too bad" I don't think. I think it's a 3.0L though.

It was fine yesterday, and this morning but on the way home it stuttered pulling into the garage. I guess we'll see if it happens again tomorrow.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
foladar
Amateur

It "hiccuped" or hesitated twice again today, how often are you suppose to replace the plugs & wires, or the fuel filter? We had those replaced when we had this issue last time, so I assume it shouldn't be those due to recently replaced (ie: 2yrs or so) - correct?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

if within 2 yrs i dont think be that bad if you did spark plugs, wires and fuel filter. i think what previous said is to replace the pcv valve. a must with that much km/miles. now just start from basics. if you have more than one reliable mechanic get a different opinion. the last guy may of just got it up running but may not of fixed the problem. we need to resolve the issue. not expect a majic in a can to work. nothing out there does this. all can help a bit but never 100% fix. if seals leak they need replacement. how far you go is up to how much you want to spend. how much you can do yourself too. but to me i think you got to sit down and see for that km./milage what needs to be done as a maintanance + repairs and then calculate costs if it better off just buying something else. i think if engine aint too bad burning oil. good compression. good tranny and such. these minor stuff can be fixed for a reasonable cost and you have a vehicle you like.

Quick Reply: 96 DOdge Caravan Valve Stem leaking oil?