Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 water pump out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
jcarr492
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 water pump out!

We got stranded on the highway when the van ran hot. Poured water in it and it all poured out the bottom passenger side as fast as we poured it in. Towed it back to the mechanic we use that works at his home. Definately the water pump and its tied in with the timing belt he said? Its an 02 caravan, 4 cyl. This van has been a nightmare ever since the transmission was rebuilt. If I knew all this was going to happen one after another..I would have just bought another car.

So what are we looking at labor hour wise on this? He said 5hrs.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Thats about right, the PT's are 7 hours.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
jcarr492

quick question.....when the gauge shot up running hot, we pulled over on the highway. We were 8 miles away from the nearest station/store. We had no water with us. After waiting and letting it cool down, we made the decision to pray and try to drive the van to the nearest place, 8 miles. We were driving back and the gauge didn't move to hot. Stayed in the middle. Right when we approached in to the town...dh said the van felt like it made a clacking noise and next thing he knew, the van shut off. We coasted in to the dairy queen parking lot..the first place into town. We popped the hood and the cap to the radiator was cool..but the hose was hot. We walked to a store to buy water. AFter letting it cool down, we poured water into the radiator and thats when we saw the water coming out as fast as he was pouring it in. When dh's uncle got there with a trailer..we added more water and started it up and drove it quickly on to the trailer. When we got to the mechanics house, they added water again to drive it off the trailer.

So what are the chances that the engine could be messed up? I mean, it starts apparently...but we didn't know if it has some kind of sensor that shuts off the van so worse damage isn't done. There was no water in the oil either after checking the dipstick.

Mechanic called last night to say that it was definately the water pump and that I'll need to replace the timing belt too since I can't remember the last time we changed it. I know it was several years ago, I THINK.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
crusty

Originally Posted by jcarr492
quick question.....when the gauge shot up running hot, we pulled over on the highway. We were 8 miles away from the nearest station/store. We had no water with us. After waiting and letting it cool down, we made the decision to pray and try to drive the van to the nearest place, 8 miles. We were driving back and the gauge didn't move to hot. Stayed in the middle. Right when we approached in to the town...dh said the van felt like it made a clacking noise and next thing he knew, the van shut off. We coasted in to the dairy queen parking lot..the first place into town. We popped the hood and the cap to the radiator was cool..but the hose was hot. We walked to a store to buy water. AFter letting it cool down, we poured water into the radiator and thats when we saw the water coming out as fast as he was pouring it in. When dh's uncle got there with a trailer..we added more water and started it up and drove it quickly on to the trailer. When we got to the mechanics house, they added water again to drive it off the trailer.

So what are the chances that the engine could be messed up? I mean, it starts apparently...but we didn't know if it has some kind of sensor that shuts off the van so worse damage isn't done. There was no water in the oil either after checking the dipstick.

Mechanic called last night to say that it was definately the water pump and that I'll need to replace the timing belt too since I can't remember the last time we changed it. I know it was several years ago, I THINK.
I bet you won't buy another dodge van ! Bring it to the bone yard and buy yourself a GOOD vehicle ! Its gonna be problem after problem with Dodge and thats a fact ! After all the years Dodge has been in buiseness you'd think they'd stop making garbage , but they haven't !

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM
jcarr492

Originally Posted by crusty
I bet you won't buy another dodge van ! Bring it to the bone yard and buy yourself a GOOD vehicle ! Its gonna be problem after problem with Dodge and thats a fact ! After all the years Dodge has been in buiseness you'd think they'd stop making garbage , but they haven't !
I think your right! We are doing a lot of cursing around here..and if I had another vehicle...we would! But hubby only has a company truck, for work and home. We're trying to make the van last till the end of the year to get a new vehicle. NEVER a dodge again for us. Had a dodge ram and now caravan and both are pains in the you know whats! Just need to keep it running to save up the down payment..then I'll just run it into the ground!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
jcarr492

Not good. Van was finished today....when I started it..it hesitated a second, but turned over. Drove 1 1/2 miles down the road to my moms house cause its sunday and we always have lunch as a family. Parked. My dad wanted to take it down the road to test it out but it wouldn't start. Just kept cranking and cranking..but wouldn't turn over. My brother and my dad thought maybe fuel pump...but then took out the spark plugs and they were soaking wet and something about the cylinders shooting water. So apparently we blew the head gasket and either warped or cracked the head. :/ Very upset over this. So now I'm at a crossroads. We have spent so far since March:
transmission rebuild: 1500.00
A/C compressor, expansion valve, freon, + labor: 250.00 + 115.00
Thermostat + labor: 10.00 + 55.00
Water pump, timing belt, + labor: 106.00 + 225.00

Grand total: 2261.00

Is it worth taking the head in to a shop for a magniflux? If its just warped...how successful is the shaving down and the van still running good? What am I looking at money wise with the magniflux and either shaving the head or having to replace the head if its cracked???? Its a 4 cylinder van....I mean...there has to be a line drawn SOMEWHERE.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm trying to think of a car line and model that doesn't have issues. Can't think of one. I've owned 5 minivans, all but my current one have had 250K miles on it. When you drove your van without water in it, you probably did more damage than just a head gasket, good chance there are block issues as well. The gauge didn't come because there was no water on the sensor which is in the top of the engine. You should look into possibly a used motor if you concider keeping the vehicle.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM
jcarr492

sigh....so what is the cost of all that? just guesstimation?

Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a small sample of what you can find

http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...171e&seq_num=1

Quick Reply: 2002 water pump out!