Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 caravan steering column locked and now vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Madtownjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 caravan steering column locked and now vibrating

Today I got in my van and the steering was locked and I could not turn the key. I jiggled the key for a long time while turning the wheel and that didn't work. While trying to turn the wheel I seemed to lock it even tighter. Determined to get it started I kept pulling the wheel harder while turning the key when finally...success...the key turned and the van started. Problem is when I tried to turn the wheel the steering wheel shook and made a loud vibrating noise. I only had to drive it about 6 blocks so I kept going and it seemed to get better as I drove. But as I slowed to pull into the driveway, it came back as I was turning in. Loud vibrating and shaking. My question is was there something wrong before I unlocked the wheel or did I damage something further by trying to forcefully turn the wheel when I was trying to unlock it? I'm a car repair novice so I'm wondering if there are any ideas on what might be wrong. On a side note, my airbag light has been on for quite a while. Wondering if that could be related to this problem or if that is something different all together. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF

It would be hard to say, until you remove the steering wheel and upper and lower covers to inspect the problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 caravan steering column locked and now vibrating