Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 AM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems I may be heading the same way...lol....

Originally Posted by GTOY
Hi, I bought my 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan in May and as soon as it hit 5000 miles, I noticed a bang between 1st and 2nd gear. It took 4 days to get an appointment at the local dealer. I told them I shouldn't be driving the car with this shifting problem, they didn't seem to be worried. I brought the van in and they had to wait 5 days for a part to come in for it. I got the van back to find out I had no reverse and the check engine light came on. Brought the van back the next morning and they told me they had done a complete rebuild on the transmission and that a pump had gone. Got the van back a week later and noticed the same banging from 1st to 2nd gear and a shutter when in reverse. Brought it back again, and just picked the van up today to find out it was low on transmission fluid. There is no dipstick, and the service manager said the only way to know the fluid is low is by going on the computer . The van still has the hesitation from 1st to 2nd but I have only driven it about 10 miles today. I am so dissapointed with this van. I have owed over 5 dodge vans and one Chevy. Would go back to the Chevy if they still made a mini van. This 6 speed transmission is terrible. Why did they change the 4 speed? Just to improve fuel economy? I hope this problem is solved, but if it goes back one more time for the same problem, I am going to exercise my legal rites with the state of Massachusetts lemon law.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
JETwagen
Amateur

Originally Posted by GTOY
Hi, I bought my 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan in May and as soon as it hit 5000 miles, I noticed a bang between 1st and 2nd gear. It took 4 days to get an appointment at the local dealer. I told them I shouldn't be driving the car with this shifting problem, they didn't seem to be worried. I brought the van in and they had to wait 5 days for a part to come in for it. I got the van back to find out I had no reverse and the check engine light came on. Brought the van back the next morning and they told me they had done a complete rebuild on the transmission and that a pump had gone. Got the van back a week later and noticed the same banging from 1st to 2nd gear and a shutter when in reverse. Brought it back again, and just picked the van up today to find out it was low on transmission fluid. There is no dipstick, and the service manager said the only way to know the fluid is low is by going on the computer . The van still has the hesitation from 1st to 2nd but I have only driven it about 10 miles today. I am so dissapointed with this van. I have owed over 5 dodge vans and one Chevy. Would go back to the Chevy if they still made a mini van. This 6 speed transmission is terrible. Why did they change the 4 speed? Just to improve fuel economy? I hope this problem is solved, but if it goes back one more time for the same problem, I am going to exercise my legal rites with the state of Massachusetts lemon law.
Sorry to hear all the problems you are having. While I can't speak for if it can be fixed or not, the fact they gave it back to you with low transmission fluid would make me question that dealerships practices and I would be trying another dealer. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
GTOY
Wink Tranny problems

Thanks for the reply's. I did take it out of the economy mode and it seems like it is shifting better. I am so glad I found this site. Thank-you

Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 AM
pacific
Amateur

I just had my 2011 Grand Caravan in for it's first oil change (5,500K) and they also did
"Perform RRT 11-090 Reprogram Powertrain control module"
"Complete rapid response"
for no charge. Any clues what this was for?

According to Consumers Reports, the transmission is "clunky" in their tests. Well, it is, especially when cold. It wants to get into 2nd and 3rd so quickly, that the shift is a bit jerky. I can live with it. Leaving out of "Economy mode" helps with the smoothness.

Last edited by pacific; 10-07-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Babasmurf73
Default Transmission issues as well

Hello everyone,

After reading this thread, I don't know whether to be happy or cry.

We recently bought at 2011 Crew with the 3.6 PentaStar and 6 speed transmission.

My issues are as follow:

Suddering at low speed in reverse (flat or incline, worst on incline) This is the shuddering most if not all posters have described.

Loud clunk in the drivetrain while in 1st gear, when the vehicle starts moving forward quickly or suddenly, after its been in reverse and vice-versa. Almost feels like everything shifts forward/backward when the vehicle starts moving in the opposite direction.

Loud and violent clunk when vehicle is accelerating normally while in eco-mode. If feels as if the transmission can't decide whether to shift to second or third from 1st. Just like everyone else, if the vehicle is NOT in eco-mode it shifts normally.

I am due for my 13,000 KM SERVICE soon so these are issues for which I am going to take the technician with me on a test-drive.

If need be, I'll take it to two dealerships and if they cannot fix the issue and/or cannot give me a reasonable explanation for why they are occurring, I think I will go straight to Chrysler Canada.

We paid this car off already so there is no 'I can't afford the payment' crap here. In my opinion, such issues should be resolved quickly and efficiently.

Especially if several owners are having the same experiences.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree to have a tech or the shop foreman go for a ride with you.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
GTOY

Well, after driving the van for a week, out of the economy mode, it happen again. I was backing down a steep driveway and when I put it into drive it hopped and had about a 3 second delay, while on coming traffic was approaching me at 50mph! Pretty scary. So I put it back into economy mode to have the same jerky shifting. Later that afternoon, I pulled out of my parking lot and it banged in between 1st and 2nd gear again. This is unacceptable. Calling the dealer today for the 4th fix on this tranny.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Babasmurf73
Hello everyone,

After reading this thread, I don't know whether to be happy or cry.

We recently bought at 2011 Crew with the 3.6 PentaStar and 6 speed transmission.

My issues are as follow:

Suddering at low speed in reverse (flat or incline, worst on incline) This is the shuddering most if not all posters have described.

Loud clunk in the drivetrain while in 1st gear, when the vehicle starts moving forward quickly or suddenly, after its been in reverse and vice-versa. Almost feels like everything shifts forward/backward when the vehicle starts moving in the opposite direction.

Loud and violent clunk when vehicle is accelerating normally while in eco-mode. If feels as if the transmission can't decide whether to shift to second or third from 1st. Just like everyone else, if the vehicle is NOT in eco-mode it shifts normally.

I am due for my 13,000 KM SERVICE soon so these are issues for which I am going to take the technician with me on a test-drive.

If need be, I'll take it to two dealerships and if they cannot fix the issue and/or cannot give me a reasonable explanation for why they are occurring, I think I will go straight to Chrysler Canada.

We paid this car off already so there is no 'I can't afford the payment' crap here. In my opinion, such issues should be resolved quickly and efficiently.

Especially if several owners are having the same experiences.
Baba,

At the very least the dealer should call the Chrysler techs if they cannot figure the problem out.

If the dealership cannot correct the issue the first time then I would recommend calling the Canadian Assistance Center at 800-465-2001 and have them get involved.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
LukasM

shudder in reverse is normal thats how the trans is built..they all do it there is no fix for it...as for rough idle if u run 93 gas u will eliminate that problem...they recommend 89 gas minimum for the 4.0l but when its cold or when u sit in traffic during a hot day it does the same...93 octane fixes that problem..

Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
gentz
Professional

It is NOT normal. Some dealers say it is but it is not! I have had Vans from 2008 with this transmission on only certain ones do it. What does that mean? That its not normal. What happens here is that they cannot find the culprit and state its normal. Personally I owned a 2008 did not shudder, now my 2011 does...sane transmissions...It seems to be a issue with valve bodies...

Originally Posted by LukasM
shudder in reverse is normal thats how the trans is built..they all do it there is no fix for it...as for rough idle if u run 93 gas u will eliminate that problem...they recommend 89 gas minimum for the 4.0l but when its cold or when u sit in traffic during a hot day it does the same...93 octane fixes that problem..

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!