Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

excessive brake dust from rear 2011 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:07 PM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default excessive brake dust from rear 2011 caravan

Well this is very odd, my rear rims are covere in brake dust. I mean black...the fronts just have very little dust...It seems rears are doing more of an effort...gonna have to look into it..any one else with this issue? 2011

Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Cure for dust !

Hi , look up my posts . I've got the cure . Bud

Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 PM
gentz
Professional

noticed new syptom....went to drive it after i washed it and noticed that the rear wheels seemed locked up. I accelerated heard a pop and all good....Time for a warranty visit as i will not touch it while it has warranty...I have my list of problems from transmission shifting, engine noise at cold start up, missfire while cold, now brakes..they will have their hands full....

Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovvorn
Hi , look up my posts . I've got the cure . Bud
Is this your solution?
Originally Posted by lovvorn
Hi , I saw a post on this some where ? I have a 2010 caravan with 6,000 miles . I didn't want to wait too late . There are no adustment from front to rear on the emergancy brake cable . It is too snug ? I did find that where the 2 brake cables merge under the slide door the cable on one side was not completely in its slot . I took a pair of plyers an snaped it in place releasing a little drag . These dragging brakes are costing fuel milage !!! my thoughts Bud
I noticed a little more "dust" on my rear wheels. But, to be honest - my last three rides (two Nissan's and one Town and Country) have always had more break dust on the rear then front.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
WiRik
Amateur

Curious if that is the solution too.

Our '10 has had more brake dust on the rear wheels than on the fronts, had the dealer check it and they say...It's normal!

Never had a vehicle before that had more brake dust on the rear wheels than the fronts (4-wheel disc).

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 PM
PoOcHy
Default 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan excessive brake dust

Hi Guys,

We just (i.e.: July 1, 2011) purchased a 2011 GC Crew from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

...I just googled "2011 Dodge Grand Caravan brake dust" and came upon this site. So I joined and will read / contribute from time ot time.

Regarding the dust, I have all 4 wheels producing more dust than a Chilean Mine!

My immediate plan is to pop off each alloy wheel and wax the mothers. Hopefully, this will prevent the brake dust from penetrating the clearcoat on the wheels.
I already wash them several times and noted that the brake dust is starting to get harder and harder to remove.

That is my only complaint so far. I'll keep you guys posted on the situation...

PoOcHy

Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 PM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoOcHy
...Regarding the dust, I have all 4 wheels producing more dust than a Chilean Mine!...My immediate plan is to pop off each alloy wheel and wax the mothers....PoOcHy
Please let us know if this takes care of the problem. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 AM
silverfun
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
NewVanDad

I noticed the same thing the other day. I jacked up the rear of the van and spun the wheels. Both rear brakes were dragging. Back to the dealer it goes again.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
PoOcHy
Default Brake dust update...

Hi all,

I removed all 4 wheels, cleaned them, waxed them, and then re-installed them. It was a lot of work... but worth it in the end. The brake dust was easier to remove afterward.

The dealer maintenance manager explained to me that there is a 'rust proof' coating applied on each disc at the time of manufacture to prevent rust from forming on the wheels while the vehicles are on the dealer lot... It takes a while for the coating to wear off. I currently have black steel rims for the winter on so it is difficult to tell what is going on.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: As a side note, I got a flat tire on the rear left wheel the next day (i.e.: day after the rim wax job) on a road trip with the kids. The low tire pressure alarm went off. I pulled over immediately. The tire was flat. There was no damage to the alloy wheel. Thank god I had practiced removing the wheels… It is a bit of pain in the rear to get the spare tire out, especially if you have never done it before. Try it and you will see. I could have called for roadside, but I was pretty far from the nearest garage. I was on the road in like 15 minutes with the ‘damn’ donut spare. We drove at 80 km/h the rest of the trip, but we got excellent mileage

In addition, I had purchased the tire/alloy wheel warranty. So the dealer repaired the tire the next day free of charge. I am sure the warranty will pay for itself in no time at all.

Quick Reply: excessive brake dust from rear 2011 caravan