Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

07 Noisy rear spring shackle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM
happydaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Noisy rear spring shackle?

Started when I first got the van new. Sounded like an owl hooting in the right rear when we had some weight (more than 2 ten year olds) in the rear and suspension would rebound going over undulations in the road. Dealer couldn't figure it out. Lately has gotten more noticible. One day I was inspired to put my hand on the shackle/spring eye and could feel the origin of the squeak. Tried soaking it with silicone spray but didn't work. Any suggestions to quiet this down? I assume penetrating oil may break down the rubber so I haven't tried that. Van has 92K miles and runs great, but this is one of those annnoying squeaks that make the wife start to squeak like "we need a new car"....

Old 08-20-2011, 02:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Try disconnecting the rear shock or shocks ane road test. The spring pads haven't given that much of a problem. Also check all the suspension bolts and nuts too.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lower shackle bushings on our 2001 were worn almost completely through last year at about 150,000 miles. Not the most fun job to do in your garage.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
happydaddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, disconnected the shock and pulled up and down on the rear bumper. Still have the sound. Turn up the volume and you'll hear it. 95K miles BTW. This sound was faint when the car was new and loaded with weight in the back, but was too faint to pinpoint or reproduce reliably. Not so today....Here it is:

http://youtu.be/Ki7nY5QRUrc

Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The means the shock are not the problem. Next step is the look at the springs and shackles.

Quick Reply: 07 Noisy rear spring shackle?