Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'97 Caravan intermittently Stalls out and won't restart for days

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Mycaravansucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Caravan intermittently Stalls out and won't restart for days

Hi, i'm new to this Forum and had a question I hope someone can solve.

I have a '97 grand caravan se with the 3.3L engine. The van has over 200,000 KM on it and I bought it brand new in 1998. A year and a half ago I got a new transmission put in as my original one suffered from that well known defect. It has numerous problems but the one major problem is that I will be driving along and everything seems fine and then the rpms start to come down seemingly on their own and then the engine quits and won't restart. One or two days later, I'll try and it will start and run fine for a while. I stopped taking it anywhere further than a few clicks from home because I was scared of it dying again and stranding me.

It has done this a few times and then seemed fine for a few months. I went on a couple of 6 hour drives with it and it was fine. My done even used it when he moved, making a bunch of short trips back and forth and it seemed fine.

But one dark cold night fate struck again and since that time I have not been able to get the damned thing started. I don't have a check engine light on or anything like that. Please help.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep...that's probably it.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Mycaravansucks

I don't understand your reply

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

His meaning maybe the way you have chosen your user name? But any how, Welcome to dodge forum. When this problem happens, does the engine turn over and won't start or just does turn over at all?

Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Mycaravansucks

The engine turns over fine and there is spark and it may catch and sputter a bit but it wont hold idle. It sounds like a fuel issue but I don't know where to start.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM
22mopar22
Banned

start by taking it to a professional mechanic with appropriate tools, skills and knowledge. When my electricity went out at my home, I didn't climb the pole to figure out what's wrong.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
start by taking it to a professional mechanic with appropriate tools, skills and knowledge. When my electricity went out at my home, I didn't climb the pole to figure out what's wrong.
What a picture. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Mycaravansucks

Thanks for your "man on the street" reply. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to get some ideas for troubleshooting to narrow down the cause and possibly fixing it yourself if you are mechanically apt and if not, taking it to a mechanic who can be quite costly if they have to troubleshoot from scratch.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
22mopar22
Banned

it's really hard to want to help someone with such a negative user ID.

start with replacing the cam sensor if that doesn't do it then crank sensor, if no luck engine computer replacement, then it could be the instrument cluster, possibly the fuel pump, perhapse the coil pack, possibly bad ignition switch. these are just a few possible causes for your exact problem

Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That was awesome LOLZZZZZ

Mr Sucks, yes I do think you have a fuel problem. You need a pressure tester kit maybe an auto parts store will rent you one. The spec is 49+ or - 5 psi

Last edited by TNtech; 08-25-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: '97 Caravan intermittently Stalls out and won't restart for days