Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Need Help Please 2001 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 AM
dondonjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help Please 2001 Grand Caravan

Ok about 2 months ago my family and I were driving around town when our Van stalled, it cut right out after I pushed the accelerator.It cranks strong but no spark, although it will start for a brief moment with starter fluid.

There have been some error codes, mostly Sensors like p0509 p0123 p0118 etc.. I t gets fuel at the rails, I bought a new coil, cam and crank sensors, fuel filter and pump and battery. Thinking either a wiring problem harness? Or computer?? Any tips would be great as this is our family vehicle I have four kids and it is really frustrating as they need to be able to get to school etc without the hassle of running a bunch of trips using my brothers compact car hehe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw its a 3.3L

Last edited by dondonjr; 08-24-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 AM
dondonjr
Default wanted to add some questions.

If it starts with the starter fluid even if just for a couple of seconds, does this mean I can check timing chain broken off the possible cause?

I get fuel at the rails as I stated above, but no spark at the coil. Checked with multimeter and everything seems okay. Need to check a little more on the harness.

Replaced the crank and cam sensors, should i try to reinstall them again?
Fuel Pump and filter are new.

It has not started without starter fluid since it stalled. And with starter fluid it dies out quite fast. I was thinking of changing the plugs, but it is so hard to get to the back plugs on these damn vans, I don't want to break a plug off in the engine.

If anyone could help that would be great

I will try to get the full list of codes to type here when I can (van is at my parents house)

Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 AM
dondonjr
Default Keep remembering more stuff hehe

There is also a sound that comes from the engine , it's like a weird beep/ buzzing sound, this only happens when the key is in the On position. It's a weird almost reminds me of the old modem noises when you connect to the internet with dial up but just lower in tone.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I would start checking the injector wire harness, You may even have to open the harness and inspect the wires. If you don't have spark and yet it fired up, doesn't make sense. It should not have started.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
22mopar22
Banned

if you live in rust belt, check wire harness under PDC (fuse block)

Old 08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
dondonjr
Default Hi

Thanks for responding, I really appreciate it. There is no spark at the coil (new coil)

I couldn't get under the fuse box, there was only one bolt that I could find, but it didn't do much when I removed it.

As for starting with no spark, I was told that the starter fluid (being so flammable) will make an engine start for just a moment due to the compression.

I Believe it is the Computer, I am not sure though. Looked at the wire harness's and found nothing that would cause this. Btw Lights radio etc.. all work fine, However it seemed like the power to the cam sensor might be a little weak as it barely moved using a multimeter. Wires seem to be (visually) okay as far as I can see.

Do you think it would be smart to get a computer ($224) and try that. Or should I tow it to a shop in case it isn't the computer? (towing will cost about 50-60 bucks one way, double of course if shop can't fix it. They will charge 80 bucks to diagnose. What would you do? Chance it and buy the computer or have it towed?

Thank you so much for your help

Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 PM
dondonjr

Also, did you ever hear of a beeping, whirling noise coming from engines? Do you know what that is?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
22mopar22
Banned

electrical problems. you have to remove the battery to flip the fuse block over.

this problem might be way over your head. internet repairs for complex problems like this are nearly impossible to diagnose and repair even with master technician level assistance. sometimes it takes all senses to determine the problem along with strong background and appropriate tools. you might have to go to the pro's in real life.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 AM
dondonjr
Default Hey

Thank you very much my friends for all your help. So 22mopar22 you wouldn't think it would be the computer even if it does start but with starter fluid? btw the sensors that were being affected were AIC,Throttle pos sensor, Engine coolant temp sensor.

Question...could this have been done by a radio installation that may have gone a little wrong possibly? The radio works fine but just wondering if it's all linked or is the wires separate from these sensors?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM
lovvorn
Banned
Default No gas @ all !

Originally Posted by dondonjr
Ok about 2 months ago my family and I were driving around town when our Van stalled, it cut right out after I pushed the accelerator.It cranks strong but no spark, although it will start for a brief moment with starter fluid.

There have been some error codes, mostly Sensors like p0509 p0123 p0118 etc.. I t gets fuel at the rails, I bought a new coil, cam and crank sensors, fuel filter and pump and battery. Thinking either a wiring problem harness? Or computer?? Any tips would be great as this is our family vehicle I have four kids and it is really frustrating as they need to be able to get to school etc without the hassle of running a bunch of trips using my brothers compact car hehe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw its a 3.3L
Don , your fuel pump relay is Bad ! Or look in your relay or fuse box an swap relays with another relay . this has happened to me . Bud

Quick Reply: Need Help Please 2001 Grand Caravan