Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake Fix for 2004 GC SXT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM
conservasteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fix for 2004 GC SXT

My van is a 2004 GC SXT with 177,000 miles on it. It is without question the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned but typical for these vans, the front brakes suck. I had rotors and ceramic pads installed by a shop about 4 years ago. I got about 80,000 miles out of them but have been living with the vibration for the last 2 and a half years. I just installed brand new rotors and ceramic pads thinking that this would solve my problem. It didn't. The van stops better but the pedal still pulses and vibrates. Is there a certain type of rotor/pad you can get to fix this once and for all? Do cross-drilled rotors help?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
I know cross drilled rotors work good on the jeeps, But I don't about the minivans. Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. That also does help.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 PM
conservasteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I get the torque correct it might help? I did use a torque wrench but didn't pay a lot of attention to the exact setting. I'll try and see if that helps before I drop a couple hundred bucks on a pair of cross-drilled rotors. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

All the torque wrench does is torque wheels to an even setting. This was one of the problems with jeep cherokee brake rotors.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone who's ever had a problem with pulsing brakes should watch this excellent video put out by NAPA

Go to the link and click on the videos starting with the first one on the left.

http://www.napabrakes.com/wps/portal...UYzMTcwVDFPSzc!

Quick Reply: Brake Fix for 2004 GC SXT