Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Gremlinns in Headlights Return

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM
vabear
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlinns in Headlights Return

One week reprieve and now it is again, game on. I have to believe the BCM is faulty, and I need to pull the old one and then replace it with same part number as the old one (correct). After that is it plug and play or must it be scanned?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's plug-n-play. Just the headlamps screwing up? Nothing else?

Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Gremlins Return

Basically headlights. I go out, hit open button on remote and headlights come on, open door and of course the chime is sounding, also the instrument cluster display (PRNDL) is very dim, assuming I guess, it is night time as I have the headlights on. Once started the headlights remain on and I cannot turn them off (with headlight switch). Also, the headlights, as previously noted, come on whenever they feel like coming on. I had disconnected the negative cable for two days and all was well for one week and now the gremlins are back.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, there is a default to ON in the BCM when the headlamp switch sense is not present. Still could be a headlamp switch. Just wanted to make you aware. If it doesn't sense the OFF, they're not going to turn off. They should eventually time out though after you shut the car down and close the doors, if the BCM is doing it's job.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Gremlins in headlightss

Yes, the computer does turn off the lights (eventually) but since they come back on at random, the dead battery then shuts them off and I jump start the car.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:03 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Gremlins Return

Quick question. If I disconnect the headlight switch would that help to isolate the BCM. Wiring diagram does not show 12V directly to headlight switch, but power comes from BCM. With switch disconnected would the BCM still be able to turn on the lights?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 AM
22mopar22
Banned

TNT tech pretty much said that with how it works. if you disconnect the switch then the lights are expected to stay on

when the problem occurs, Are saying that the lights will NOT turn off even after a few minutes? that would be a BCM problem as the BCM will automatically turn off the lights within 5 min if the car it off even if you leave the switch on.

if this was my issue, i'd hook up a quality scanner and see what the bcm is doing, then I'd take out the FSM and follow the diagnostic chart and use a wiring diagram to identify circuits involved.

I'm sure tizzy can post all that for you since he has access to the entire chrysler support materials.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Gremlins

Yes, lights will go off after a short delay, but then they come back on again, and off, and on.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure don't have the expertise working on these wonder wagons like some of these other guys have but, I'd have to say this sure sounds like the BCM. I don't see anything else in the system that can turn the headlights on and off at regular intervals with no input from you. I just spent some time looking at wiring diagrams and cruising through this and several other forums and found around half a dozen threads with your problem. When there was a fix posted it was always the BCM. That said, some had no fix posted. That could mean several things. One is something else may have fixed it. Round and round we go.

22Mopar22 - Correct me if I'm wrong but BCM codes fall under communication codes ("U" prefix) correct. He would need a bit more capable scanner than the standard scanner. Is that what you meant by "quality scanner". That or head to his local dealership.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-13-2011 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:34 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Gremlins

Yes, "U" code required and I do not know if Auto Zone or Advance have "U" code scanners (or if they know what they have). Left car at curb with negative cable off overnight and today all is well, However I have no illusions that I have solved anything, Thanks for the response.

Quick Reply: Gremlinns in Headlights Return