Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Brake, ABS, Traction off light all on

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Eric334
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake, ABS, Traction off light all on

Thanks

Last edited by Eric334; 09-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

There's really no excuse anymore for not owning at least a code reader if not a scan tool. You can get a code reader for as little as $39 and a pretty decent DIY'er scan tool for under $200. At that price it pays for itself the very first time you use it. If you want to do your own repairs, you need the proper tools. So you're probably not going to get much sympathy from us about being unwilling to either buy one or take it to a shop to get the codes read.

In the old days if you wanted to tune up your vehicle you needed a tach/dwell meter and a timing light. Those days are gone, but the need for owning at least a basic set of tools hasn't changed. A code reader is now considered a basic tool. Get one and get back to us with the codes.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Eric334
Rookie

Thanks

Last edited by Eric334; 09-12-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Eric
RickMN is right, The forum can only help with so much information. But if you don't have any codes to help us to help you, then we are only guessing why you have a problem with the track/ABS lights being on. As far as sensor's, If you have ABS. The ABS module is on the driver side frame rail behind the battery, the sensors. Each wheel as a ABS wheel sensor.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 PM
22mopar22
Banned

dude, don't DIS rick. he's trying to tell you that you are coming across as not a nice guy. you can't be demanding to get the EXACT answer to this problem because there isn't one professional mechanic that can solve your problem with exact certainty that your problem is _________.

but if it makes you happy, each wheel has a speed sensor. you can find the sensor by finding a black wire going to each hub. The hub is behind the tire. find a wire coming from the frame rail of the vehicle approximately 1 foot from the center of the wheel. on the front the wire is attached to the strut. The strut attaches the body to the hub assembly and has a coil spring around it.

What you need to do is replace each wheel speed sensor until you fix the problem. after you replace all 4, and the light is still on, then replace the ABS relay, if that doesnt work then replace the CAB (computer for ABS). if that doesn't work, then replace the HCU (hydraulic control unit). if that doesn't work, replace entire ABS wire harness. because trying to tell you what your exact problem is without necessary information is like going to the doctor when your sick and not telling them any symptoms.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 PM
bulltuck

Originally Posted by 22mopar22
dude, don't DIS rick. he's trying to tell you that you are coming across as not a nice guy. you can't be demanding to get the EXACT answer to this problem because there isn't one professional mechanic that can solve your problem with exact certainty that your problem is _________.

but if it makes you happy, each wheel has a speed sensor. you can find the sensor by finding a black wire going to each hub. The hub is behind the tire. find a wire coming from the frame rail of the vehicle approximately 1 foot from the center of the wheel. on the front the wire is attached to the strut. The strut attaches the body to the hub assembly and has a coil spring around it.

What you need to do is replace each wheel speed sensor until you fix the problem. after you replace all 4, and the light is still on, then replace the ABS relay, if that doesnt work then replace the CAB (computer for ABS). if that doesn't work, then replace the HCU (hydraulic control unit). if that doesn't work, replace entire ABS wire harness. because trying to tell you what your exact problem is without necessary information is like going to the doctor when your sick and not telling them any symptoms.
yup, That's what I would do too.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Eric334
Rookie

Thanks

Last edited by Eric334; 09-13-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
22mopar22
Banned

1) I wasn't dising Rick, he jumped my butt, 2) Wasn't demanding anything 3) Wasn't looking for exact answers 4) if you read my post it asked about where the sensors were , and why I'm having trouble finding them 5) I asked, I asked with a big please help. Really not sure what I didn't wrong to get all flamed here, once again, I thought this was a help forum, I asked a simple question, or questions. you know what, I'm not going to win here, so Thanks for all the help.

I sure wish I would have quoted what you deleted so everyone could see your personality. it was NOT a matter of asking for help at all!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

track/ABS lights being on. As far as sensor's, If you have ABS. The ABS module is on the driver side frame rail behind the battery, the sensors. Each wheel as a ABS wheel sensor.

Thats alright, I read the post and I know what eric wrote. He ask for help on why his ABS and traction control light was on. Rick gave a honest answer to his question. And my response is above. I want everyone to drop this matter now, I will take care of it.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
bulltuck
Default ABS & Brake light came on at same time

Originally Posted by Eric334
Thanks
Normally it's just the sensor on the rear axle, when they both come on at once... I got a 2006 2500 4x4, sitting in my shop right now waitng for the sensor. My scan tool is for big trucks and won't pull a code on it. The sensor is cheap and the quickest and easiest to do first. Not all scan tools have the same capability to pull codes unless you have $$$$$$$

Regardless, whether there is more to this problem or not, I'll still put it on and leave on, since this truck has 160,000 mi. on it.

Quick Reply: Brake, ABS, Traction off light all on